Roof Racks

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

fleckbass
CBoats Addict

Roof Racks

Post by fleckbass »

Bought a new truck and gonna put a cap on it. I'm looking at factory installed Yakima and Thule racks with tracks. Any thoughts on these two brands? I would prefer the Thule square bars over the Yakima round bars. The Thule seem harder to get factory installed.
I went raftin' once. I think it was in Ohio.

http://www.easternpaddling.com
keez
C Guru

Roof racks

Post by keez »

I've had both types and would definitely recommend Thule over Yakima. The Yakima rack rusted like crazy and one of the supports broke while carrying a full sized canoe (OK I was passing a transport doing 145 kms).
I've had my Thule racks for 3 years now with no issues so far.
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

I've been using the same set of Yakima rain gutter towers for 17 years -three different vehicles, two different camper shells. No gripes. The stackers (old style) do rotate annoyingly and image that some other accessories would as well - wouldn't be a problem with the rectangular Thule bars. I am about to replace my oldest bars because the plastic is wearing off (where the stackers are). Some rust inside, but WD-40 slowed it. Yakima's customer service has been good. Bought a couple different tower set ups for situations without rain gutters, not quite as happy with the Q towers as I'd hope (side pieces come off easily).

Thule makes solid stuff, too.
philcanoe
C Maven

Post by philcanoe »

ditto

same Yakama gutter style towers - on fourth vehicle and still going strong.... they mailed me replacement keys for free, big thanks ... getting ready to put them on a fifth (they have carried a dozen sheets of 3/4 treated plywood at one time, plus a couple 4x4's and a few 2X10's)... how hard did you tie down on that canoe???

also have a couple Thule's they've worked great (no problems), BTW the Thule Truck Rack is Primo (4those w/o a camper shell) -

won't dis the Thule's (either), but really-really like those Yakamas
fleckbass
CBoats Addict

Roof Racks

Post by fleckbass »

Anyone know anything about Sport Track or Westin Racks? They come on Jason Caps.

PAC
CBoats.net Staff

Post by PAC »

Yakima of old was the A ticket but I think the product has slipped. I have about 4 sets of Yakimas and the old ones are still going strong.
The the newest version however are not, having plastic parts that keep busting (luckly on the wife's car so used less).
Limited experience with Thule. The one set I own are on my "mtn vehicle" and have 250+K on them (vehicle and racks) - but they too are older versions. Not sure on the newer versions of T's.
Hope this helps. Paul C.
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
Official TOG Member (Team Old Guy)!
sdbrassfield
Supporting Paddler

Post by sdbrassfield »

My yakima gutter racks have been bomb proof over the years....
SYOTR
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Sir Adam »

I actually prefer my new style Yakima's to my old Yakima's (circa 1998) and Thule (2002). At the time I preferred Thule (2002), but some of their new stuff has impressed me.

That said, there is nothing like a "real" roof rack (vs. just cross bars as we're discussing above), like a Hannibal or FrontRunner :) They don't exactly fit on every vehicle though.
Keep the C!
Adam
OC1_SURFER
Pain Boater

Post by OC1_SURFER »

I've had my Yakima rain gutter mounts for at least 15 years. I thought I'd have to go to something different when I purchased my '03 Town & Country (no rain gutters). However, I found that the 1A's fit perfectly into the slot on the top side of the factory luggage racks. And they clamp firmly against the lower side of the rails. Had them on for two years and they have not budged. This also puts the crossbars at a height where you don't have to use your Yakima 4" risers to haul highly rockered canoes like the Ocoee. These type of factory racks (see photo) are on several different makes and models of minivans & SUV's. Its almost as if a boater designed them with this in mind. :D

Terry
MikeOC1
C Guru

Post by MikeOC1 »

for big loads like multi canoe I have had best luck with the Thule gutter type( forgot what ther called). The ones that utilized the factory rack were plastic and cracked over time.
KNeal
CBoats.net Staff

Post by KNeal »

Look at the load ratings for Yakima and Thule racks and compare that to what you think you might be carrying on your roof racks. I put Pro Racks on the cap of my Tacoma and am quite pleased with them. They look very similar to the Sport Tracks you were asking about. I got the ones rated to 300 lb. I got the type with the rail for the racks to slide on and I actually would have preferred to have gotten fixed racks since I don't slide mine around (and they're cheaper, too). I also got the boat cradles which, in my opinion, are not all that firm on the racks. One down side is having low clearance from the cap roof to the racks. Decked boats upside down on the roof most likely will contact the cap roof.

For longer boats, like tandem canoes, I use a Yakima rack on the roof of the cab.

KNeal
C-boats Moderator

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing-absolutely nothing-half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
the great gonzo
Paddling Benefactor

Post by the great gonzo »

I got Thule for the cap on my Tacoma. I looked at the Yakima's the isers were plastic, thile Thule's are stamped sheetmetal. Plus friends of mine initially got Yakima's for their Matrix, they were a bad fit and moved around, on one occasion actually denting the roof of the Car. Since they exchangesd them for Thule's, things are O.K.

martin a.k.a. the great gonzo!
Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing - Henry David Thoreau
ChrisKelly
CBoats Addict

I just bought a new truck (Tacoma) and

Post by ChrisKelly »

will install the same system I used with the last three trucks totalling over 500k miles.

Artificial rain gutters on camper shell, Yakamha towers with 2x4 's, an eyebolt in the center of each 2x4, eyescrews in the sides of each 2x4 and tiedown brackets on the side of the truck body such that the rope runs from one tiedown up through an eyescrew, over the boat(s), through the center eyebolt, over the boat(s) on the other side, through an eyescrew and down to the tiedown on the other side.

The advantage is that the pull from wind etc goes against the truck body not the rack. My theory is that the weakest point in any rack system is almost always the point where it attaches to the roof. When you transfer the pull to the truck body you substantially decrease the pressure on the weakest point.

It has always worked for me and I regularly carry multiple boats many miles. Actually Hopley is the only person alive who has a better system and I am lots cuter than him.

The big difference is that with the Tundra I could carry lots o' peeps and not so much with the Tacome but can still carry lots o' boats.

Chris Kelly
OC1_SURFER
Pain Boater

Post by OC1_SURFER »

I like your system, Chris. I've always felt that 2x4's are much better than factory plastic coated crossbars because your load doesn't tend to slide around as much and its easier to install other hardware such as eyebolts to them. I had a set of 2x4 crossbars on my pick-up, but let them go with a boat that I sold. I used white cedar which is pretty much weather resistant and won't warp. And like you, I normally use ropes instead of straps. There's just so much more you can do with a rope. It would be interesting to do a pole of "ropes vs straps" on this board.

BTW, Chris, congratulations on your victory. Hopefully your new job won't cut into your paddling time too much. I have a feeling that Richland Creek will be call our names real soon. :D

Terry
fleckbass
CBoats Addict

Roof Racks

Post by fleckbass »

Thanks for the great info guys.