ENCORE CLONE? RECOMMENDATIONS PLEASE

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

dawgpaddle
c

ENCORE CLONE? RECOMMENDATIONS PLEASE

Post by dawgpaddle »

I'm researching for a new OC-1 for this summer or fall to retire my beloved 1991 pink Encore to "collector's item" status.

Recommendations on potential new boats with similar performance characteristics would be greatly appreciated by this 60 year old, 200 lb. 6 footer!!

I love its quick-turn, spin-with-one-stroke ability; ableness to lay it over on its side until the guwales dip water; jumps into eddies with a lean; river runner capability for 6 - 10 mile days. My style is to try to hit every eddy in the river, really working peel outs, ferries, and aggressive S-turns. Surfability not important to me, although a front surf is fun. Class II - III rivers, think Nantahala. Royalex or composite would be fine. I am somewhat cautious and not a rock basher or hellbent-down-the-river-paddler.

Thanks for your suggestions!! I want to save my wood gunwaled pink encore, in pretty good condition, to show off and take to paddling club meetings. I've enjoyed this board immensely and appreciate being able to join!!!
Louie

Post by Louie »

I have an Encore "fussia" with wood gunnels it is set up for Tandom for a normal size person and a under 75 lbs in front. Not set up to where you can paddle solo only tandom. Pscho and Chad won Southeastern's in it one year/
KNeal
CBoats.net Staff

Post by KNeal »

Consider a Millbrook boat. You can contact John "Kaz" and discuss with him about boat recommendations. Naturally, his boats are composites.

KNeal (and I still don't get a stinkin' t-shirt for this promo :evil: )

:D
C-boats Moderator

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing-absolutely nothing-half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
dawgpaddle
c

Post by dawgpaddle »

Thanks for the quick responses. Keep em coming. It is an honor beyond fathom to have the legendary Louie, whose posts I've enjoyed so much, answer!! Congrats on the Encore, too. And I'll definitely contact Kaz at Millbrook. Good idea.
Louie

Post by Louie »

Louie who?
dawgpaddle
c

Post by dawgpaddle »

"Louie" as in the recent Canoe/Kayak magazine story!!
milkman
C Maven

Post by milkman »

I don't think you're going to find a boat that matches what you like about the Encore. They don't make them that way anymore. At least not out of Royalex (which is why the Millbrook suggestion is a good one).

I would suggest trying out a Prodigy X. It might also be interesting to see what comes out from the discussion on the Esquif Raven. That's a higher volume canoe that might at least approximate some of the things you liked about the Encore.
Last edited by milkman on Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
pdown2
C Guru

Post by pdown2 »

If you like precision and maneuverability you might want to look at the Esquif Spark. That is a fast, agile boat in my humble completely non-composite experience. To be honest I've never even seen a composite boat on the boney rivers I call home.......got to love the SE.

I only got to paddle one once and it was twitchy but man what a fun ride!!
Louie

Post by Louie »

I think he might be on to something with the spark idea. You could ask Dooley but I'd bet he ain't never been in one.
dawgpaddle
c

Post by dawgpaddle »

Appreciate the responses. I actually did have the Raven (seems to have had good reviews) and the Spark (wondering about my 195 - 205 pounds) high on my list. Probably I can paddle a few strokes in a Spark in May; have to figure out how to try a Raven, maybe at NOC. I've always had such wonderfully handling boats to paddle--Encore and Old Town Canadienne prospector model--that I'm really spoiled!!

Any thoughts on a Rival or my weight in a Spark?

Thanks. SINGLE BLADE PADDLERS ROCK!!
the great gonzo
Paddling Benefactor

Post by the great gonzo »

Scott C weighs well over 200 and paddles a Spark.
I would also consider an Outrage. Great handling boat, almst as fast as a Spark. I weigh ~180 to 185 lbs and the boat can definitely handle more weight.
Millbrook has some interesting designs, too. I like the lines of the Rumba.

TGG!
Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing - Henry David Thoreau
xmas0c1c1k1
CBoats Addict

Post by xmas0c1c1k1 »

The spark is great for all rivers nice fast boat fun working on s turns and such. You should be fine at your weight but you have to paddle that boat up front not a good rudder boat gets tippy when you get your weight to far back. Good Luck!
yarnellboat
C Maven

Post by yarnellboat »

I don't really think of the Spark as a comparable to an Encore, because the paddling styles are so different. By all means try it, because it's great at some of the eddy-catching and peeling-out that you like! But you have to be "on" for it, no unfocussed drifting; so, at your size you might not like it as a comfy all-day river-runner.

I'm over 200lbs, and I really enjoyed paddling the Spark because it's different and fun - so light and responsive! But as much as I liked trying it, I wouldn't buy one for myself.

As far as replacing an Encore goes, I think the Outrage might be a more reasonable comparison.

PY.
TommyC1
C Guru

Post by TommyC1 »

I paddle an Outrage and bought an Encore because I couldn't find a used Outrage X.
The Outrage X is roughly the same size as the Encore. I think it paddles much like the Outrage which is to say it's quicker than the Encore and it carves without requiring as much heel. Like the Encore it's pretty forgiving and loves to front back and side surf. IMO both the Encore and the Outrage X have a bit more volume than the smaller Outrage. I like that in heavier water.
I think that's as close as you will get to the Encore in newer boat.

Tommy
Dooleyoc-1
CBoats Addict

Post by Dooleyoc-1 »

The spark is a great boat. I'd recommend trying it out for sure. It may seem small, wet etc... coming out of an encore but at the same time it will feel really nimble. The best thing you can do is try out a lot of different canoes and see what you like.

The Viper 11 and Ocoee are also smaller boats (relative to the encore) that you might want to try.