Advice for Mohawk canoes

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

Louie wrote:Got any pictures?
this one was from the Green Race... :lol:
AJ
CBoats Addict

Dear Mohawk

Post by AJ »

My first boat was a purple Probe 14. I still have it and use it on occasion, when taking friend out that is new to the sport. It has been a very durable old royalex boat and Mohawk was good to work with.

Over the years, I have went from the Probe 14 to the Ocoee to the Skeeter to my current boat a Taureau set up as a C1.

The Taureau is a fun, durable boat to paddle. I am glad Esquif made the boat and that I bought one. It seems light, responsive, and punches through holes (most of the time :-). The flare in the ends keeps you from digging in waves and from hitting the stern too. This type of short boat allows me to extend my paddling season in to lower water, where you would destroy a royalex boat in no time.

Now the bad news, the seam on the side is clunky and the boat seems a little top heavy. I realize the Taureau was not supposed to be a C1. However, the height of the boat seem a little tall, especially when you add the skirt combing to make it a C1.

The Taureau outfitting is also cheesy. The foam is soft, the bulk head came unglued from the boat in no time with warm/cold temperature changes, and the Yakima foot braces were installed with no plastic on the side of the saddle to avoid them from pushing right through the saddle.

My biggest disappointment in the Taureau is rolling it. I admit I am not a great roller, but this boat seams much harder to roll in comparison to my Skeeter or Ocoee. Maybe, it is the nature of the beast, smaller boat?

The Spanish fly is obviously in demand. And I know some people only want to only paddle an open boat, but lets face it that boat does not look like a traditional open boat, or a C1. It is a goofy looking thing that performs really well.

So if you want a plastic durable traditional open boat you have the Prelude. If you want a hybrid you have the Fly and Taureau. If you want a C1, you get a kayak or Taureau and convert it.

I personally would like to see a lighter weight C1 creeker, 8' to 9' out of PE or durable plastic with at least a 7.5" saddle height that is a little faster and easier to roll then the Taureau. And yes, I would buy one!

Good luck in your business and thanks for asking the boating community what they would like to see in future boat designs.
eddyhops
CBoats Addict

Re: Dear Mohawk

Post by eddyhops »

I’ve been buying & boating Mohawks for over 15 years, and had written Mohawk off after my previous 2 purchases for customer service issues. Within a year of my last purchase, Mohawk was closed, the ovens & molds were for sale. I actually tinkered with the idea of purchasing them myself, but at the time had too many irons in the fire. A few years later and me getting closer to needing a new boat, Mohawk was relocated and under new management… I was glad to give the new folks a try. My first 2 conversations with Sam were encouraging. Unfortunately, things went awry, and I personally would not have handled a customer in my business the way I was handled. I was very disappointed, from more than one angle, considering the opportunity.

That being said, I would very much prefer to find this as an isolated incident. I don’t wish dissonance between boaters, nor between boaters & boat manufacturers. Very little, if anything, productive or progressive comes from it. The instigation of this thread and the personal posts within are definitely a constructive move.

Now, I would definitely be interested in a 10.5’ Ocoee-ish/Prelude-ish style boat, in just about any reasonably durable, relatively easily repairable material.
JD
marclamenace
CBoats Addict

Post by marclamenace »

I have also to agree that a plastic creeker 9'-10' would be awsome. Yes the market is small for that type of boat but the offer is too, at this point.

Starting from the viper design to build that would be great. The bottom's angle are making the boat carvy without the square 90 degrees angle that makes some moves harder, and is still quite stable, which the prelude is not really. And why not closing it into a C1? Or at least letting that option open, like the taureau seems to be setted.

Good luck.

On another note, another option for the tripple saddle that would not eat all the storage place when soloing for 14' boats like the Probe or XL would be nice too. Expedition solo boat or tandem play, those are coll to have for sure.

Again, thanks for asking.
Watch out; that river has rocks on the bottom. :o
Li'l D
C Boater

Post by Li'l D »

I'd like to see something designed for shorter and lighter paddlers. You need something for kids like they did with the kayaks. It would be nice if a good design came in several sizes.
kaz
Millbrook Boats - CBoats.net Sponsor

Post by kaz »

Hi Sam,
Here's my 2 cents. Keep in mind that only a small portion of all canoeists in the world look at this website. You're catering to a small market. Lots of good ideas here for sure, but, just because you build it doesn't mean they will buy it, regardless of what they say they will do. Oh, and everyone will want a free one, because they're the best, or to be on "Team Mohawk". Be careful with how many boats you give away for people to trash, unless of course money is no object.
best regards,
John Kazimierczyk
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

kaz wrote:"Team Mohawk"
John Kazimierczyk
I dunno John... it might be a good look for you :lol:

kaz

Post by kaz »

He-he-he. I sort of like it.
JK
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

kaz wrote:He-he-he. I sort of like it.
JK
remember... I've seen what you look like before your coffee in the morning. this isn't reaching too far... minus the dog collar. :lol:
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

TMI
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

sbroam wrote:TMI
Don't worry... he stays at our house when he's in town.

The dog really likes him so we allow it for short visits... Mrs. Smerda isn't very thrilled about having her home deloused after he leaves though.

:lol:
eddyhops
CBoats Addict

Post by eddyhops »

kaz wrote: Oh, and everyone will want a free one...
I didn't know we could get a free Millbrook... I didn't even get a free thong with purchase of a new boat

http://www.cafepress.com/slalomcanoes.14776788

(just for those that have yet to see it :P )
JD
kaz

Post by kaz »

John,
What's your address?
jim gross
CBoats Addict

hahaha

Post by jim gross »

My thong would need more material in front (Ya think Homeboy). That one looked like a coo-chie oriented model. Hahaha

Jim

On the more serious side. I was thinking on the 10.5 design. I always design hull speed into my boats via a long flat area in the middle of the boat with a softer first edge in the middle as well. Carving edges would be in the four corner areas. Tall blunted ends with a rising face for lift. Walla, it's a beautifull thing brutha. Tata
gumpy
C Maven

Post by gumpy »

It would be nice if a good design came in several sizes
This sounds great. While John wants a 10.5' Ocoee/Prelude, I'm a bit smaller than him, and would like a 9.5 footer in PE. I've been thinking about this boat all spring. Prelude's a bit squirrely, Ocoee not quite hot enough, too long. The Mohawk Tellico, now available in S, M, and L! And your choice of factory bulkhead or factory straps. :D
Joe