OC-1 Decks. Are they really needed?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

bassbug
c

OC-1 Decks. Are they really needed?

Post by bassbug »

I've just replaced the wooden gunwales on my Outrage. The factory decks were just thin plastic triangles screwed into the inwales. As I am contemplating replacing the decks I wonder if decks (especially the small factory MR) are really necessary on my Outrage? Any thoughts?
Louie

Post by Louie »

a lot of people particulary race head don't use them.
Big Al
CBoats Addict

outwales

Post by Big Al »

were you working off plans?
I have to replace one of the outwales on my Zoom as I've got rot at both ends due to the deck covers holding water. I did the other outwale two years ago off of plans out of a magazine (was it Rapid?) where the guy was exchaging plastic for wood on his Zoom. The article was helpful but I am unable to locate it now. Anyone recall?

As to deck plates....I do like the idea of having SOME plastic bumper protecting the bow, especialy for creekin. Other thoughts?
the great gonzo
Paddling Benefactor

Post by the great gonzo »

They are not necessary. My wood gunwaled Outrage came with short wooden deckplates that were almost an inch thick and weighed probably 2 pounds each. I ditched them in a hurry. There was no noticeable reduction in hull stiffness.
For deckplates to be of any use they have to be long, pretty much all they way back to the thwart and have a splitter to divert water away from the cockpit.
Short deckplates don't really keep the boat dry and they dont add any strength and stiffness to the boat.

TGG!
Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing - Henry David Thoreau
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

I find them essential in covering up the ends of one's inwales if one has boneheadedly cut the 45 degree angle at the end the wrong way. :lol: They can be pretty, too.
Walsh
CBoats Addict

Post by Walsh »

sbroam wrote:They can be pretty, too.
They can also be ugly. I actually found the Tupperware logo molded into the 'custom' deckplates on the Scamp I borrowed from JimP. :D
FURZTROCKEN!
TonyB
CBoats Addict

Post by TonyB »

I find that when I flip the boat over to carry it solo, it rests on the deck plate, and I d rather it do that than the top of the hull.
Proud Yankee
Motoari
Pain Boater

Re: OC-1 Decks. Are they really needed?

Post by Motoari »

Wood decks are convenient for installation the movie digital camera. :D

[img]http://www002.upp.so-net.ne.jp/ebara/ca ... masu01.jpg[/img]
Mr.DeadLegs
CBoats Addict

Post by Mr.DeadLegs »

I like the deckplates that help shed water, a little upward lip helps keep out the little pecker waves.
"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to slide in sideways totally worn out, shouting "Holy large steaming pile of dog doo what a Ride" " Nolan Whitesell
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

Sometimes decks are not a good idea, especially if a carry thwart is not built into the back edge of the deck. Sometimes folks grab those instead...
Mr.DeadLegs
CBoats Addict

Post by Mr.DeadLegs »

True, that is part of the reason I prefer to just carry the boat myself.
"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to slide in sideways totally worn out, shouting "Holy large steaming pile of dog doo what a Ride" " Nolan Whitesell
kanur
C Guru

Post by kanur »

I bought a new Ocoee from Frankie when he had his shop at the Ocoee. When I picked it up I asked why it didn't have deck plates. He said "what do you want those for, they just hold water in"
Dennis

"Just Cause I Don't Run My Mouth Don't Mean I Got Nothing To Say" Mike Cooley DBT
jscottl67
CBoats Addict

Post by jscottl67 »

How would you manage to dump water on yourself when loading boats on the rack without it? :P
rcgalwa
Pain Boater

Post by rcgalwa »

I hear it makes enders a little easier without them!
bassbug
c

Post by bassbug »

Thanks to all who replied...I won't put my decks on, although jscottl67, sbroam and TonyB make good arguments for them! :)