Introducing the Esquif L'edge

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Louie

Post by Louie »

No think about it for a minute, If the decks are cut at the right angle where the plastic changes from Vertical to Horzinal and then you add 3/4" of wood gunnel on the inside and out side when you placed the deck back in it original place it will total cover the inside gunnel. I never liked the deck plates on the Ocoee so I would always take a sheet of the plastic we molded the deck plate out of and cut it so it fit just like what I am talkin about doin with the new boat.
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

kaz wrote:Can we somehow stop this thread when it gets to 10,000?
JKaz :wink:
When the thread hits 10K I figure I'll announce the full details of my most elaborate and cruel April Fool's joke EVER!!!

(insert evil laughter)

[img]http://blogs.zdnet.com/images/bsd%20linux%20devil.JPG[/img]

whoops! :lol:

Crud... guess I'll have to delete the entire thread now... :cry:
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

Louie wrote:No think about it for a minute, If the decks are cut at the right angle where the plastic changes from Vertical to Horzinal and then you add 3/4" of wood gunnel on the inside and out side when you placed the deck back in it original place it will total cover the inside gunnel. I never liked the deck plates on the Ocoee so I would always take a sheet of the plastic we molded the deck plate out of and cut it so it fit just like what I am talkin about doin with the new boat.
Deck plates typically get mounted to the inwale on a wood gunneled boat. Looks better that way too.
Louie

Post by Louie »

Isn't that what I just said ? I think I would like to go with contrasting colors between deck plates and hull. Hunter Green hull and dog dick red deck plates. I will secure the deck plates down with "BRASS" #6 x 5/16 wood screws with brass groumenet type washers into pre drill holes. I haven't quite figured out what I am goin to use for a water break on the deck plate, but the two step water break on the Teaureau deck has spoiled me and I will want to try and get the new boat as close to as dry as the Teaureau is.
fez
CBoats Addict

Post by fez »

by the way - is there any chance to get the Taureau in plastic with the new molding machine ?
imagine
Louie

Post by Louie »

The Teaureau is in Plastic the same type as what the new boat will be made out of the difference is that the Teaureau uses a sheet of the matererial that is heated in an oven like you use for Roylex sheets and then the heated sheet is vacuum formed over a mold. The Roto molded boats plastic is in grandular form like resien beads and is put inside a mold heated and spun while being rocked back and forthe at a 26 degree angle. Because you put grandular bead in the mold you can mix color and by placing diffent color bead in the mold you can get multi color boats and you can use your hand to make designs in the unheated beads that will more or less keep that design shape during the cookin process.
Louie

Post by Louie »

The other way to make plastic boats is injected molded (Preijon) but the machine to do this is a lot more complacted and it would be a pain in the butt to get multi colors, if it is possibel at all. My only experience with injected moldin has nuthin to do with boats but rather car parts.
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

Louie wrote:I will want to try and get the new boat as close to as dry as the Teaureau is.
Well... if you want the dryest version in my opinion... just get the fully decked one Mike. Option #2... order the fully gunneled version and screw the full sized plates right on without cutting them down. Option #3... find a drier line.

This past weekend I was taking the wettest direct lines I could... it really is a dry boat man! Remember... this is a full volume traditional canoe.
Last edited by Craig Smerda on Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yukon
Yukan Canoe

Post by Yukon »

Dog dick Red?? Not sure bout paddling width ya'll. I have 24 huskies and I try not to see that color if I dont have to.
And it aint a pretty shade of red.

Green and Red sounds like a friggin christmas tree, maybe that is a boat for the north since I am so close to Santa Claus
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

o.k. folks... let's try to keep this clean... and civil.
Louie

Post by Louie »

That is what I said I was goin to do, and then start cuttin them down if I want to. On what river were you on that you were lookin for the wetest line? We have a upper Yough, Gauley, New river trip comin up at the end of the month, might be a little more water over in the mountains than in your neck of the woods or city, what ever the case may be.
Louie

Post by Louie »

Well in a few year in the sun that red kinda fades into a pink color, you can add your favorite descriptive adjetive in front of pink, I know what mine is.
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

Louie wrote:That is what I said I was goin to do, and then start cuttin them down if I want to. On what river were you on that you were lookin for the wetest line? We have a upper Yough, Gauley, New river trip comin up at the end of the month, might be a little more water over in the mountains than in your neck of the woods or city, what ever the case may be.
I ran the Tsangpo Mike... didn't you hear? :lol:

One thing to consider... once again... is that we'll be able to adjust the height of the gunnels up and down about 1-1/2" for shorter and taller folks... well... I guess we can only go down to that lowest height once. :lol:

Keep in mind... the lower the overall height of the boat the easier it is to roll... but the wetter it can be as well. For shorter and lighter paddlers I'll speculate that a 1" lowering of the gunnels will be adequate on the production boat.
Last edited by Craig Smerda on Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jscottl67
CBoats Addict

Post by jscottl67 »

I think you could lower the gunnels 4" and the boat would still be dry. :P
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

jscottl67 wrote:I think you could lower the gunnels 4" and the boat would still be dry. :P
It'd sure look funny :roll:

Wayne Dickert had one of the coolest chopped down and pulled in R-light Ocoee's I've ever seen... wonder what ever happened to that boat. It was a wet boat... but he still kicked butt in it.