breakdown paddle conversion question

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

bradk
c

breakdown paddle conversion question

Post by bradk »

Anyone have any experience cutting an old werner bandit in two to make a breakdown paddle? I have an old Werner bandit (fiberglass) that I want to convert. I've done some searching of the forum and can't find any specifics to help me out (maybe I'm not good at searching).

Since the bottom of the shaft is oval shaped, gradually tapering up to a round shaft by T-grip, I am unsure of how high I need to go before making my cut before a standard ferrule kit will work. Ideally I would like to make the cut as low down as possible so the paddle will fit in my large burn.

Any recommendations on breakdown ferrule kits that have worked for you in the past?

I've contacted Werner directly and they aren't any help, they do not sell a breakdown kit or recommend converting a paddle to a breakdown. However, they do make them, but I would prefer to use my old paddle and not buy a new one.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Brad
AYockey
C Guru

Post by AYockey »

They were more than happy to convert a broken kayak paddle to a breakdown after I smashed a blade on a rock. The paddle was a few years old and they chopped it in half and added a half of a new breakdown which made the paddle completely off balance since the shapes of the blades were completely different. When I called them it seemed like a pretty standard procedure.
"The mark of a successful man is one that has sat at his favorite playspot all day without feeling guilty about it."
-Modified Chinese Proverb
bradk
c

Post by bradk »

Really? When I spoke to Werner, they were pretty hesitant. Maybe it was just the rep I spoke to. I'll have to try again.

In the meantime, anyone else have any experience cutting a bandit in two?

Thanks,

Brad
sdbrassfield
Supporting Paddler

Post by sdbrassfield »

I can send you a pic of my Glass Bandit breakdown that I use as my spare paddle, just tuck it under or beside one of the bags. It is small enough to fit easily in my Quake. I will have to take the pics and do some measuring for you, but it was definitely broken above the 50% mark on the shaft (handle end shorter than blade end) maybe I would guess 60/40. The work was done by Werner 4 or 5 years ago. It works great as a paddle #2 in the boats...
SYOTR
the great gonzo
Paddling Benefactor

Post by the great gonzo »

bradk wrote:Really? When I spoke to Werner, they were pretty hesitant. Maybe it was just the rep I spoke to. I'll have to try again.

In the meantime, anyone else have any experience cutting a bandit in two?

Thanks,

Brad
Big Al has a neat way of splitting the shaft of a Werner Bandit in two. He runs Ohiopyle Falls and snaps it across his nose upon landing :o :lol: !

TGG!
Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing - Henry David Thoreau