Boat selection problems...

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

kabuki_blaze
C Guru

Post by kabuki_blaze »

Thanks again to all who have weighed on my boat selection dilemma.

I went down to the Naty this weekend and demoed a Detonator and an Ocoee, I like both boats. But I have to say, the Ocoee was much faster and carved like a champ. The Detonator was nice, but a bit slow, but the length would be real nice on the creeks. It took me awhile to get used to the detonator, while the Ocoee felt great right off the bat.

Even looking at a picture of myself in a detonator, i look big in it?

http://www.photoreflect.com/pr3/orderpa ... 0033&po=33

So if anyone is selling an Ocoee, PLEASE LET ME KNOW, I cannot afford a new one.
Mr.DeadLegs
CBoats Addict

Post by Mr.DeadLegs »

Come to the Ocoee this weekend. Mohawk should be bringing a trailer full of boats that you could try out. If that is not enough there should be many types of boat and opinions to go around.
"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to slide in sideways totally worn out, shouting "Holy large steaming pile of dog doo what a Ride" " Nolan Whitesell
kabuki_blaze
C Guru

Post by kabuki_blaze »

Mr.DeadLegs wrote:Come to the Ocoee this weekend. Mohawk should be bringing a trailer full of boats that you could try out. If that is not enough there should be many types of boat and opinions to go around.
Thanks for the invite, but that's a long drive for me, I am in northern WV, this past weekends trip of 8 hours to the Naty about killed me...but thanks for the info!
milkman
C Maven

Post by milkman »

You don't look too big in the Detonator. But if the Ocoee is what feels good to you, go with it. Your reasons, speed and edges, are totally legit and correct observations on the differences between the two boats.
2opnboat1
Mohawk Canoes

vipers

Post by 2opnboat1 »

I would have to say the vaper seris would be the way to go. the 11 maybe a little small for you; know of a 6'4" guy paddleing one he loves it. Paddle both regular and love them but iam partial. We have a few of each to demo in Chattanooga good luck
There are so many good boats out there, gotta paddle everyboat you can beg barrow or steal

richard
Richard Guin
Lazy good for nothing slacker
yarnellboat
C Maven

Post by yarnellboat »

I wish Mohawk had a Viper that was bigger than the 11 and smaller than than the 12. And I'm not just talking length, the 2 boats feel like they're more than 1-foot different.

If you didn't like the Det, don't get one. You don't want to own a boat that you think is sluggish.

Pat.
TonyB
CBoats Addict

Post by TonyB »

Did you get to try a Nitro??
Im 230 and love my nitroIts got the same hull design as the Detinator but sacrifices some manuverability to gain speed.
Not far off from the Ocoee but more stable with more volume. still surfs like a champ!!!
Proud Yankee
kabuki_blaze
C Guru

Post by kabuki_blaze »

I did not try the Nitro, I wanted too, just not enough time. The Ocoee felt a little long to me, but I loved the fact of how narrow and tight around me it felt, now if I can just find one. OC-1s are not as prevalent in WV as in the southeast.

Part of me just feels like financing a new boat, it sucks being boat-less, I may have to get in my old kayak :x The horror!!

i would like to keep trying boats, it will widen my net of used options. The Viper 11 does look like a good design, I will have to try and find a way to demo one...

Thanks again for all the comments.