Remix 69 C-1 outfitted and reviewed

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

marclamenace
CBoats Addict

Post by marclamenace »

Hey Mathieu,

Sound like you did a good job. I didn't see no quick release but hope you do have, right?

I would suggest to add a piece of foam behind the seat to reach the back foam pillar. Just to make sure your seat won't move in case of a good beating. Also duct tape is convenient but I would sure bring some with me at all time with a setup like this...

Have fun; I love my remix too! It does great on these pushy water rivers we have around here.

Marc.
Watch out; that river has rocks on the bottom. :o
mathieuf
c

Post by mathieuf »

No quick release in the boat at now.

My other c1 have relatively the same setup its quite easy to exit the boat if something append.

Marc, on your appalooza setup have you a quick release? :lol:

Im not sure if I need one, dont have foot brace in this setup...

Do you think I REALLY need one? Someone have a story about a guy being stuck in his boat with no quick release?

MaT
marclamenace
CBoats Addict

Post by marclamenace »

My apalooza setup has moved quite a but since the beginning of the summer. Sadly, I had to do what others have told me; lower the saddle, remove the pegs and add straps. And yes, a quick release as well. I had to lower the saddle to 6.5" before to get good stability, I am now at 6" finally, no plans to move lower again... as of yet!

I got stuck in a shallow recoil this spring in my prelude and I was quite happy to exit by simply pushing me out, no straps on that boat. I got three big shots on my helmet and I was bruised under it. :cry:

I am sure others can find sad enough stories for you but myself, I find that the low saddle is what makes the exit harder, considering the angle of your thights.

But anyways, the position where your straps are anchored and how hard you put them on always draws the balance between control and ease of exit.

Keep safe and have fun,

Marc
Paddle Power
C Maven

Post by Paddle Power »

Do you think I REALLY need one?
YES
Brian
http://www.JohnstonPursuits.ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Larry Horne
C Maven

Post by Larry Horne »

Do you think I REALLY need one?
definately.
Larry
Bruce Farrenkopf
CBoats Addict

Post by Bruce Farrenkopf »

Not a whole lot said about HOW the Remix 69 performs: Can it hold a ferry angle? 2) How easily does it roll relative to other boats? 3) Does it resurface stably over big drops? 4) Primary and secondary stability? 4) Does it hold a line? 5) Is it predictable? 6) Is the plastic durable? That sort of thing. I did get the impression that it is fast for its size and turns well. Any comments would be appreciated. I am debating between the Burn and Remix.
Thanks,
Bruce
mathieuf
c

Post by mathieuf »

Try it at local playspot yesterday.

Her's my first impressions:

-Can hold ferry angle quite easily
-Rolls are VERY VERY easy
-Cannot tell about resurfacing the drops yet
-Primary stability seem better tans the secondary, maybe im not accustomed about the rounded chines on the boat, habitually I paddle hardchine/flat bottom boats (spanish Fly)
-Hold line like a god and predictable, the lenght of the boat help for that
-Heard somewhere that LL plastic is very durable...look at that video http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... ogic&hl=fr# ....very funny
marclamenace
CBoats Addict

Post by marclamenace »

I am 165lbs and loves the 69. I mean the boat :roll: :lol:

I am not such an experienced boater but here are my thoughts so far:

Rolls very easily that's right. Impressive.
Stability is also impressive for a 26" boat. Primary and secondary both OK. Won't beat a big boat there obviously... Never tried the 79 myself but apparently less fast but more stable.

It is fast and holds a line fairly well, but "drifts" on your paddle side even though you go straight... :roll: The chines are not that hard so probably that's why... Obviously every small boats are doing that somehow I guess. (as opposed to, say, a 13 footer!)
Resurfacing is sweet; the boat won't push you on sides. Got that feeling from digging on green waves while surfing, haven't done big drops yet. Also the fact that the bottom keeps an almost flat surface all the way through the bow and the high rocker makes the boat "hop" over river features. Unlike other boats like skeeter, quake, SF that digs into the meat much more.
Plastic seems though so far... Pyranha plastic on my prelude used to feel a bit tougher but heavier.
The burn have very hard chines so my guess it that it would "kick" you more on big water movements... the remix is pretty friendly there.
As I mentioned on another thread, you get a very different feeling when paddling the remix leaning forward (turns on a dime and very responsive, carves very well) then when you just sit more upright you get a great glide, sustained speed and tracking.
My setup now, after many adjustments, is backbench 8" from the back of the cockpit rim and about 6" saddle height.
From where I live the price of a new LL hull was also lower than Pyranha... :P
oopsiflipped
CBoats Addict

Post by oopsiflipped »

ok, ok, i'm not saying that you guys are all wrong because i've never paddled the 69, but i will repeat that dave 'the man' hepp told me he tried one and didn't like it. if you don't know who that is or if you do and don't respect his opinion more than your own, you might want to switch to kayaking.

and yeah, i'm just saying that to be incendiary
marclamenace
CBoats Addict

Post by marclamenace »

Gabe, you're the man. Fire it up!

It really is all about your weight to me. That is one of the cool things about yak conversions (although small cockpits sucks) is that you can find one for your size. With canoes it's a different story, big butts ending up in 13 footers.

At 165# I was hesitating but finally took the 69. At 205# mathieu was much better with the 79. I saw other people previously saying they like the 59 better for its playability, the guy was around 140#.

See the thread here.

http://www.cboats.net/cforum/viewtopic.php?t=7959803
mathieuf
c

Post by mathieuf »

Try it on a class 3 run yesterday.

The boat is very easy to paddle! This thing is so fast.

The 79 is perfect size for me, seems to stay on all feature.

Recommend it to anyone.

MaT
Bruce Farrenkopf
CBoats Addict

MaT, What is your weight? I'm thinking of the 79 also.
Thanks, Bruce
Alden
CBoats Addict

Post by Alden »

Gabe, just because he works at Charlotte Whitewater Center does not mean that Dave has become "The Man" all of a sudden, or that he's evil by default, okay?

Anyway, like my accoutant always used to tell me (while I was being sued): don't let The Man get you down . . . whoever that is.

Alden
mathieuf
c

Post by mathieuf »

Bruce Farrenkopf wrote:MaT, What is your weight?
205 lbs (92 kg)
Bruce Farrenkopf
CBoats Addict

Can you get your knees nice and wide in the Remix?
Thanks for any response.
Bruce