Much Lighter Plastic Boats Coming Soon?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

philcanoe
C Maven

Post by philcanoe »

The literature l've read about, reference inclusion of an abrasion resistance layer, as well as something for UV protection also.
marclamenace
CBoats Addict

Post by marclamenace »

Sounds like great news!

Twintex (armorlite) seemed very strong to both abrasion and shocks, but if you ever do bang it enough, it would break (crack) instead of folding/bending like PE or royalex. If this was because of the glass matrix, maybe the PP matrix would solve it?

Sounds like a 30lbs remix as though as a 60lbs PE one would be possible? Let's see... :)
Watch out; that river has rocks on the bottom. :o
Mr.DeadLegs
CBoats Addict

Post by Mr.DeadLegs »

so what would a 12 foot canoe weigh?
"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to slide in sideways totally worn out, shouting "Holy large steaming pile of dog doo what a Ride" " Nolan Whitesell
Bruce Farrenkopf
CBoats Addict

Post by Bruce Farrenkopf »

Sure, there is some risk with a new material, but Tegris may get us back to the kind of boat weights we had with composites :D . I would like to move or carry a creek boat that weighs 30 lbs instead of the 45 lbs. The boat would be more responsive - less horsepower would be required to paddle and we would expend less energy to get to the take out. I'm sure you guys know this stuff, but it bears some emphasis. Lighter boats would encourage longer walk-ins to a remote creek for instance. For those of you who are permanently attached to 40-45 lb beefy creeker, you will likely be able to buy them for many years. Me, I'm going to watch this one carefully and perhaps take a chance.

SYOTR,

Bruce
Louie

Post by Louie »

I don't carry in myself but I am sure my in laws who I have carry in my boat would like a lighter version.
ncdavid
CBoats Addict

Post by ncdavid »

They said a 55 lb ABS boat would weigh 35 in MFT. They can call it Tegris, but I'm sticking with MFT.
ncdavid
CBoats Addict

Post by ncdavid »

Louie wrote:No Dagger and Whitesale, Duh
Thanks for the confirmation. It could just as easily have been Bell and Mad River. So, do Mohawk and Esquif plan to offer their full line in MFT? Can they make a Royalex boat and an MFT boat from the same mold/plug? How does it do with adhesives or are we all heading for bulkhead outfitting?
AJ
CBoats Addict

Post by AJ »

I hope these new materials are more durable then the Taureau. The sheet forming used in the Taureau is not a good design and creates a weak spots on sharp corners like the chine.
Crunchy
C Boater

We should chip in and buy

Post by Crunchy »

Gabe one.
If he can't break it, no one can!
:D
2opnboat1
Mohawk Canoes

New mat

Post by 2opnboat1 »

First, This is not new just a new process, and it may work great for rec boats but want last in ww.

Second the companies trying this stuff out dont make canoes.

Thrid
We at Mohawk are looking at new plastic and there will be no need for an outside source telling it on the forum because you all will hear me jumping and doing back flips all over this world And it is not MFT or any other fabric, It is goood old plastic so stop gueesing you wont figure it out. In all honesty we will be working with 3 materials, PE for the Maxim our ww blend and our rec blend. and as Forest Gump would say thats about all I have to say about that

So dont listen to the water cooler talk I Will announce it
Richard Guin
Lazy good for nothing slacker
JayDavis
Pain Boater

Post by JayDavis »

Well, the more we know, and the more yall keep us informed and stay vocal, the more interest we will have in yer boats!
Bruce Farrenkopf
CBoats Addict

Richard,

We would like to continue to talk about this. This and other conversations will help relay the message to boat developers that lighter boats are wanted by the boating community and may spur accelerated development.

Thanks for paying attention. See if you can kick your crew into whitewater development with MFT/Tegris or whatever improved materials and or processes you can find. Let's continue to move ahead.

SYOTR,

Bruce
2opnboat1
Mohawk Canoes

Bruce

Post by 2opnboat1 »

I agree we need to talk about all this stuff,

First we have been working on a new material for over a year.
No it is not any tupe of cloth layup. Have explored them all now and not happy with the wear factor, or the fact that once it is cracked the only easy fix is duct tape.

Second
I know that everyone feels like they need to know all about stuff before it is ready, and Thats NOT FAIR for the manufactures. If as soon as we get something figured out we tell the world, how do we keep something for ourselvese. What I think you and most others tend to forget is how much money it cost to R&D something. Why do I want to spend my R&D budget to help out another company. I dont mind shareing but let me get the first bite. For the amount of time and energy that companies put into R&D, I think this is only fair.

Remember we boaters created the problems we have with boat material now. Ten years ago or so we all cried boats are to heavey so manufacters lited up there boats, now we have royalex that sucks. Remember we as boaters contol this market, and we owe to the companies to let them get there r&D done and all the bugs worked out before we start telling the world. Trust me when things are ready we will be screaming it from every rooftop in the CHatt area
Richard Guin
Lazy good for nothing slacker
philcanoe
C Maven

Post by philcanoe »

thank you Richard!!!!
Bruce Farrenkopf
CBoats Addict

Whew :o ! Enough has been said about this for the time being. People in the industry are getting excited and perhaps for good reason. I am dropping it :oops: .

SYOTR,

Bruce