Where are the Tandem Paddlers?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Walsh
CBoats Addict

Post by Walsh »

PAC wrote:Sounds like we need to have another go at "Tandemodium" and / or Tandemation". A gathering of OC2s / C2s! Last run was a couple years ago on the LY (Loop+ in ~ II-III).
Interest?
Paul, Marissa and I are in. I also want to feed Jim P aspirin for a week and get him back in a real boat for the occasion.
FURZTROCKEN!
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

Post by PAC »

Thoughts on date? Sat / Sun? Need to figure out the launch time thingy based on interest! Where is Not Elvis when you need him! LOL
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
Official TOG Member (Team Old Guy)!
Not Elvis
C Guru

Post by Not Elvis »

Nobody likes paddling with me anymore. Whether it's tandem or just on the same river, I'm finding partners fewer and farther between.

Before Riverscout went and birthed himself a new partner, we were the dynamic duo in the DC area. And my funny-looking sister-in-law is not physically up to doing the tandem thing now (or possibly for quite a while) Anybody who saw us at the Armada three years ago might remember her as the one who started a fight with her partner while still strapped in the boat during a rest break.

I also seemed to have lost my reliable Caption to some wingnut who's abusing his eventual ex-girlFIEND when he's not wrecking himself.

So I am down to five tandems to choose from, and no brain-damaged, right-side-paddling individuals expressing interest in tandemnation.

Such is life.

J.

"I'd rather be part of the problem than part of the solution"
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

My kids are about the only paddling partners that will agree with me on which way to go, but that may be because I don't actually ask 'em.
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

Post by PAC »

NE - I might just have a deal for you... strong right handed 15 yo not yet wrecked by the C2/OC2 experience. In need of training prior to ASCI race. I might have a left handed 15 yo with me that when combine are suppose to become a 15 yo OC2 team at Nationals.

Oh and as I remember - sister-in-law was the quiet it one rolling her eyes while sitting in front while some breserker was screaming from the stern position. :o

But that's my story and "yes" you usually are part of the problem! :wink:
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
Not Elvis
C Guru

Post by Not Elvis »

No self-respecting norseman would be anything less than a berserker!

Right-handed 15 YO in bow position should not disrupt trim too much. And spins in Swimmers should be rather controlled.

Let's get in on!

NE
Not Elvis
C Guru

Post by Not Elvis »

Oh, and by the way...

It's the QUIET ONES that you have to watch. :lol:
gumpy
C Maven

Post by gumpy »

here's another righty lookin for a lefty! oh and i don't have a boat...
Joe
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

Post by PAC »

Hummm.... might have to get Big Al Joe. My son is a lefty but can paddle righty too. I'll then have to take the girl ... do-able!

What type of boat you want OC2 or C2? I'll be C2ing - more stylish IMHO. I beleive I have a spare of both.

More importantly ... what day (Sat vs Sun) date? Some logistics involve and no NE we will not be checking the calendar for dates close to or on a full moon.

PS Jay check your PMs
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
gumpy
C Maven

Post by gumpy »

yeah, that could work out. as to the c2 vs oc2 question-doesn't matter to me as long as i fit in relative comfort and the outfitting is tight enough to roll, i guess. i've never c2'd before, so that'd be neat. i'm good with any sunday, most saturdays too. and thanks for the offer!

what boats ya got, paul?
Joe
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

Post by PAC »

okay you get my kid... good luck! LOL But then he might listen to you! :o

I have a couple Hydra Duet C2s (I suggest that) or a Mohawk Pryanha OC2. If the ME is in good enough shape it might be ww ready by then too! I say C2. You'll look marv-o-les!

http://cboats.net/c_db/list.php?type=2& ... &name=Duet
The duet is super stable, easy to roll and very comfortable for long trips ... plus everyone gets the heck out of the way when you come rolling through. My daughter loves the "boof" sound these big boys make. Plus that will get you ready for the Over the Falls race! :wink:
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
Mr.DeadLegs
CBoats Addict

Post by Mr.DeadLegs »

so if I get this right, the bow paddler gets the bigger scares/thrills. If this is the case and if your partner is a competent paddler and more risk averse then they should paddle from the rear. Soooo sexiest statement coming here, most women that I have encountered have a greater sense of self preservation and are therefore more risk averse. So shouldn't we encourage them to paddle in the rear and trim our boats accordingly? Would this help kill the divorce boat syndrome? I personally have not paddled tandem since Mrs Deadlegs and I were in a MR Freedom and I went to cross paddle and she caught the paddle in the back of the head. That wouldn't have happened if I were the bowman. I may have to re rig the ME and see if she will give it another try.
"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to slide in sideways totally worn out, shouting "Holy large steaming pile of dog doo what a Ride" " Nolan Whitesell
gumpy
C Maven

Post by gumpy »

are you tellin me, paul, that youd let me take your son AND your duet over the falls? you're on. hot dam! i hope colin can get there to document the occasion!

you know paul, if we DO plan this tandemnation for a full moon, we could have a mass renegade midnight tandem falls run...

have you taught your son to roll yet?
Joe
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

Mr.DeadLegs wrote:.... So shouldn't we encourage them to paddle in the rear and trim our boats accordingly? ...
You might be on to something...
Jim P
C Guru

prefer a saturday.

Post by Jim P »

Paul,

You organize it and I'll get off my arse for the day. Now to find a willing bow person :o