nice strokeage?

Post all your CBoat and OCBoat related videos here!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

yarnellboat
C Maven

Post by yarnellboat »

Good posts/advice.

I'd suggest you bump the righting pry and the offside roll way down your priority list! There's lots of stroke improvement and ferrying stuff etc. to work on (for anyone, not critisizing your strokes specifically)!

Keep it up! Not a lot of canoeists paddle like that in year 1!

Finding places and making time to do stuff like your "around the world" is a great way to improve, at any level.

Pat.
FullGnarlzOC
C Maven

Post by FullGnarlzOC »

Strokes, righting pry, and off-side rolls... are all seperate parts of boating. They don't really run into one another, nor cut back on training for one other... at least that's how it seems.

Like I could be working on my strokes, then hit something the causes me to tilt a lot to my offside(thus maybe practice a righting pry)....and if that fails...off-side roll?!? Nah...i think i'll hold off on the off-side roll for a while. The only reason I wanted to, was because I got stuck on my side in a hole with my offside downstream...and I couldnt figure out how to roll back up.

Thanks for the advice guys. Gumps... i'm going to practice less stroks to do things... The jet surf is the best way to be efficient...i think. And to expand on that, the better I get at using water features, the more efficient i can be.
http://www.gnarlzoutdoors.com
Silverbirch Canoes - North American Distributor
Email: tom@gnarlzoutdoors.com
OC1er
CBoats Addict

Post by OC1er »

If you watch the Paddlesnake videos you'll see Milt switching hands to throw low braces on the "offside", maybe learning to roll "both hands" would be of some use. You'd have to switch hands under water...I've definitly walked some drops that, if i got flipped, my setup would be between the boat and a rock. As a lefty, I don't like getting pushed against rocks on my left side...

The righting pry is definitly useful also...

Nice roll in that squirrly water by the way!
Its not about the approach. Its about control in the hole.
Larry Horne
C Maven

Post by Larry Horne »

Love the enthusiasm! but man...don't waste your time on a righting pry, really. I don't know where that rediculous move came from (well, really I do), but it's a joke and makes canoeists look like dorks! .. just my humble opinion :-)

You can get plenty of "off side brace" from a good (and instinctive) on side forward stroke. Honest! Try it. The plain old cross forward works very well as a brace too. Which one you use depends on what your upper body is doing at the time you lose that edge..

Work on the forward stoke. Work on the cross forward. Work on getting in and, most importantly, OUT of eddys. Most everything else is fluff.
Larry
jakke
CBoats Addict

Post by jakke »

Larry Horne wrote:Love the enthusiasm! but man...don't waste your time on a righting pry, really. I don't know where that rediculous move came from (well, really I do), but it's a joke and makes canoeists look like dorks! .. just my humble opinion :-)

You can get plenty of "off side brace" from a good (and instinctive) on side forward stroke. Honest! Try it. The plain old cross forward works very well as a brace too. Which one you use depends on what your upper body is doing at the time you lose that edge..

Work on the forward stoke. Work on the cross forward. Work on getting in and, most importantly, OUT of eddys. Most everything else is fluff.
I had the same feeling about the righting pry, untill I actually used it, instinctively. It's not always working, but it can save you the swim... .

For the topic starter: Nice playspot, good idea to do the around the world stuff! But it might be a good idea to step back to flatwater to work on your technique. If you're under stress (water a little to heavy, new boat, ... ) you take a serious step back in technique. You need quite some exercise before you can fixate your technique.
You can do around-the-world-like exercises on flatwater as well, and it's really rewarding!
Over time I gathered/worked out some flatwater stuff, you might be inspired by some of them http://open-canoe.be/index.php?option=c ... &Itemid=25
Try to get someone on the lake with you, then it's more fun :D
ncdavid
CBoats Addict

Post by ncdavid »

There is a place for a righting pry. Usually I think about it while swimming. Like, "Dang, I bet a righting pry would have worked back there..."
It isn't a stroke that you're going to have time to think about. But, like jakke said, if you do it by instinct it can be very effective. I have a friend with an amazing righting pry. Never swims. He did, however, blow out his onside MCL while throwing a righting pry at Roostertail on the Noli. Didn't swim, though.
OC1er
CBoats Addict

Post by OC1er »

yeah, I've never thought to myself while going down the river "the righting pry would work right here!", but I've found my self using it, all of a sudden you just find a bit of solid to use, sometimes its on the back face...
Its not about the approach. Its about control in the hole.
Larry Horne
C Maven

Post by Larry Horne »

ncdavid wrote:There is a place for a righting pry.
exactly :wink:
Larry