bulkhead or double thigh straps

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

bobthepainter
Pain Boater

bulkhead or double thigh straps

Post by bobthepainter »

what is the real scoop?.... is a bulkhead better? do you have anymore control than the standard double thigh straps? or just more to a personal preference of custom out fitting? thanks, for your input.
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

option c : bulkhead + thigh straps
Larry Horne
C Maven

Post by Larry Horne »

if your knees don't move then your knees don't move. all that matters is that your knees don't move.
..and that it's comfortable.
it can be done both ways.

i prefer snowboard straps on my knees for the solid feel and easy adjustments. i have a bulkhead/thigh straps in my playboat and it's too tight with a drysuit on, and almost too loose with board shorts. but it's not annoying enough for me to change it.

wait. what is standard double thigh strap? is that two thigh straps total, or two per leg, or is that a thigh strap and a knee strap???
Larry
Pierre LaPaddelle
CBoats Addict

Post by Pierre LaPaddelle »

Hey btp -- thanks for starting this thread off.

I'm in the midst of converting a K to a C, and scratching my head over the same question.

One experienced C-1 paddler suggested that a bulkhead provides safety in the case of a hard vertical pin -- it prevents you from getting driven hard into the straps, and perhaps even jammed under the bow deck.

That said, Larry made a good point -- how to get a good fit -- one's knees are bigger with a dry suit and fleece pants, compared with bare knees on a hot July day.

(Hmm-m-m. . . interchangeable bulkhead panels for varying knee sizes. . . ?????)

Help us out, guys -- I'd be grateful for additional comments. Thanx for yer help!

Rick
C'est l'aviron. . . !
DougB
CBoats Addict

Post by DougB »

When I first got my bulkhead I thought it was the cats butt in comfort and control. However like Larry said I'm snug when in a drysuit with layers but loose otherwise. I'm switching back to straps this weekend for adjustability of fit
xmas0c1c1k1
CBoats Addict

Post by xmas0c1c1k1 »

I would be more concerned in a vertical pin with a bulk head.

you can set up a quick release for straps not for foam.

I tried numerous things and have found Larry's method to be the best with regular thigh straps and padded snowboard straps for the knees actually blew a strap the other day and the bindings kept me in well enough for a quick roll
yarnellboat
C Maven

Post by yarnellboat »

If you have to jack the cockpit of a C-1, there's a benefit to the bulkhead in that it can help keep the rim up. If I didn't have to lift the rim, I'd probably try sturdy, tight knee straps and thigh straps.

Pat.
TheKrikkitWars
CBoats.net Staff

Post by TheKrikkitWars »

xmas0c1c1k1 wrote:I would be more concerned in a vertical pin with a bulk head.

you can set up a quick release for straps not for foam.
Now I may be misinterpreting you, but I can't see how releaseing your knees (and thus allowing the water to push you knees first into the bow of the boat) could possibly help in a vertical pin situation.

I've had a couple of minor vertical pins (more embarassing and painful than dangerous) but in both of those, having the bulkhead to support my weight and lever my legs off of has been really useful. Once you pop the thighstraps you just lean forwards and use your torso's mass to lever you thighs off the bulkhead and cockpit rim, pushing your knees back out and allowing you to fall out safely (albeit head first and with a total lack of grace).

I can see how using a deep engaging bulkhead which comes up to the mid thigh (like the ones that are really good for playboating...) would be dangerous, but I personally would seriously balk at having a bulkhead that does any more than restrain the knees in my creekboat, it just makes it too hard to escape full stop if you have to.

Short Bulkhead and Crotch-to-Hip Thigh Straps are the winner every time for me, and in openboats you have the advantage of the bulkhead displacing lots and lots of water that could mass up otherwise.
Joshua Kelly - "More George Smiley than James Bond"

CBoats Moderator - Not necessarily representing the CBoats staff though...(I'll use words like "moderator", "We" and "CBoats" to make it clear when I am)
jscottl67
CBoats Addict

Post by jscottl67 »

C1 or OC-1? I think most of the bulkhead entrapment issues relate to the bulkheads further up the thighs (generally in OC1). In a C1, I wouldn't think you would use a quick release on the knee straps, but would on the upper straps on the thighs.

I think modern conversions would have an advantage in a vertical pin as the feet (and knees) would be more likely to be under the deck in an old style C1 cockpit.
scott curtis
C Guru

Post by scott curtis »

i like both... tho rule # 1 , don't get it too tight. i no some people have a quick release system , which i do , to an extent. i try to roll , but if i can't get it for various reasons, i like to be able to come out of straps w/ out a release. i've found being too tight , and depending on a roll to be scary. if the liquid is BIG , i loosen the straps a lil' :)
TheKrikkitWars
CBoats.net Staff

Post by TheKrikkitWars »

Scott, there's a problem with that logic... if you can come out of your straps at will, you can come out when you're actually going for your roll.

Straps that hold you down effectively are the most important safety mechanism, because they give you the control to both effectively avoid danger, and roll up .

CBoats Moderator - Not necessarily representing the CBoats staff though...(I'll use words like "moderator", "We" and "CBoats" to make it clear when I am)
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

I tend to *tighten* the straps when the going gets sketchy but for all of my years of messing about and searching for the perfect QR system, I have NEVER had to release straps to exit a boat. Perhaps even as tight as I set up my boats mine are still not that tight? Or maybe that thirst for air overcomes all? :D

Also, I set up my last boat w/snow board ankle straps over my knees instead of a bulkhead (Larry-style) - I'm really liking that, too, for all the reasons listed above.
scott curtis
C Guru

Post by scott curtis »

i'll practice holding my breathe :evil:
marclamenace
CBoats Addict

Post by marclamenace »

TheKrikkitWars wrote:Short Bulkhead and Crotch-to-Hip Thigh Straps are the winner every time for me, and in openboats you have the advantage of the bulkhead displacing lots and lots of water that could mass up otherwise.
Ditto on that, and even in C1 if the skirt blows (happened to me after a cliff jump this year) the bulkhead can displace water and I always have bags in my C1s as well.

Bulkhead + thighstraps are comfy. I found when I set up the straps well behind my hips but the anchor down not too close I can both stay in to roll multiple times and get out easily without a QR. If the anchor point down is close to your balls enough there's no way to get out at some point without releasing them.
Watch out; that river has rocks on the bottom. :o
TheKrikkitWars
CBoats.net Staff

Post by TheKrikkitWars »

marclamenace wrote:
TheKrikkitWars wrote:Short Bulkhead and Crotch-to-Hip Thigh Straps are the winner every time for me, and in openboats you have the advantage of the bulkhead displacing lots and lots of water that could mass up otherwise.
Ditto on that, and even in C1 if the skirt blows (happened to me after a cliff jump this year) the bulkhead can displace water and I always have bags in my C1s as well.

Bulkhead + thighstraps are comfy. I found when I set up the straps well behind my hips but the anchor down not too close I can both stay in to roll multiple times and get out easily without a QR. If the anchor point down is close to your balls enough there's no way to get out at some point without releasing them.
Yeah, My current ones sit under my body and come out, round and back like a climbing harness. I had a forward anchor point in my Jefe, and couldn't get the same control as I do with these, so shifted back to the configuration I have in my playboat.