TOP 10 Most Notorious Rapids on East Coast

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Louie

Post by Louie »

"Drain of the World" in Veracruz Mexico, only been run by five people ever, Jim Coffey and Tom McQuen live down there and they don't even know where that one is. Unless Rocky told cause I know me and Pinchelocogringo ain't said nuthin about it to them.

Your question is flawed, restate it and post again.
Beaverman
c

10 list

Post by Beaverman »

I agree, make it runs, as long as you are there.

just throwing out some floats- not in any order. Here's more than 10 to brouse through, and then see if you are lucky enough to catch them at a good level. Late Fall, Winter, Spring floods best time to catch most of them if you want big time flows.

Upper Gauley (I know, already mentioned, but I proposed to my wife there and she said yes, 30 years ago, although not immediately when I asked her at the guard rail)

Overflow creek. ( with over 2.8 on US76 bridge gauge)

Watauga

Section Zero Chattooga ( just do not get caught)

The Meadow (I have not done it in an open)

The New (at decent levels)

Hailstone (Arkansas - Haven't done it, but others have, and you just have to be there when the water is. I've told it is not that it is that big, just that it is that continuous, with no good takeouts, and always the possibility of new strainers)

Little River Canyon (Alabama)

Upper Yough

Savage

Cheat

Tallulah

Emory Obed river system (in spring flood)

Section IV of the Chattooga, above 2.4

And you might want to make sure everyone in your group is up for these runs and everyone has been through a whitewater rescue course or is instructor rated or has been a guide there and everyone has rescue gear.

From an old fart who will probably never do any of these sections again, but who has a lot of awesome memories and does scenic class I-III now in his decrepidness, after 42 years of paddleing, but is breaking in a new tandem partner. Gonna have to get me a Paco Silverback to keep river camping soon.
dwd58
Pain Boater

Post by dwd58 »

toughest on the east coast and nobody mentions Russell Fork here in east ky? THREE class five rapids, and they usually have to carry out 2 or 3 boaters every year feet first?
Louie

Post by Louie »

Which three? At 150 and 250 I didn't see any V's but at 1300 I though all of them were V's

BTW did you know it is runnin right this minute.
FullGnarlzOC
C Maven

Post by FullGnarlzOC »

Russel Fork will most likely be in it. Also thinking Racquette, Moose, Overflow, Upper G, Upper Y, ect...

I think more so than the actual runs/rapids - are the moves themselves. You can make any decent rapid look awesome with a set of great moves.

Think Eli's move in the Canoemovie... that stood out way more than any other move/line in the video. Wasn't even close. And all that took was a little bit of guts and faith in skill.

Jeremy - I'll have good footage of the Eagle section of the Beaver in 3 weeks when they release. We'll see how i feel, but I'm going to try and get creative and run some bomber lines. We'll see what it looks like when I get there. It's real easy to sit back and say i'm going to 'go big' now... but that changes when I see the stuff sometimes. At this point, that most the stuff I am stepping up to is the biggest stuff I've ever seen in person, let alone run.

I think i'm just gonna throw on the 'cage' on my hockey helmet(doubles as ww helmet - works awesome); and stick on some bomber elbow pads and just go for it.
Last edited by FullGnarlzOC on Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
http://www.gnarlzoutdoors.com
Silverbirch Canoes - North American Distributor
Email: tom@gnarlzoutdoors.com
FullGnarlzOC
C Maven

Post by FullGnarlzOC »

Ur right on the cheat too.. Cheat has a few that are highly recognizable. Thats the biggest part... highly recognizable rapids. And stylin' the crap out of them. Trying moves that most won't think about trying, and doin it in an open boat.

As for the Savage...its not all that difficult, and no 'wow rapids' it's just an over all run of hole/rock dodging. Not too much to be done there. IMO.
craig
CBoats Addict

Post by craig »

Please be careful Eddy Mcgnarlz, it would ba a shame to see someone as enthusiastic as you get hurt early in their career. Good Luck and have fun!
Jim Michaud
CBoats Addict

Post by Jim Michaud »

I'm surprised that nobody mentioned the North Chickamauga or Linville Gorge yet.

Jim
Louie

Post by Louie »

50 caliber on Bullet Creek...oh that is right only four people have ever run that one.

Bald River falls only one has said he has run that one.
FullGnarlzOC
C Maven

Post by FullGnarlzOC »

Keep em comin Louie. and Jim - hades yeah on the Gorge.... might be a lil before I can be apart of that tho ;(

craig - hurt or injured? because I hurt myself for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. 3 yrs ago, Doc says... U need knee surgery, ur ACL is shredded... I say, yah but can I play? Doc says...not very well... So I play anyways, and lead the country in points that season(hockey).

and mailed the results to the doc at the end.

moral of the story. not everyone rolls the same way if you know what i mean. some like to take bold chances... remember, there's a real thin line between brave and stupidity. I love walkin that line. hopefully it will work out. :) I'm at the point where all the skill is there, that just needs to be molded with acquired experience... and theres only one way to get experience...that's get out there and do the dam thing.

and yah... i'm pretty full of myself. sorry. its an acquired taste. i'm only so serious.
Last edited by FullGnarlzOC on Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
FullGnarlzOC
C Maven

Post by FullGnarlzOC »

What about bigger water guys? Looking for volume + technical. What runs out there have that potential?
Lengthy
C Guru

Post by Lengthy »

Niagra effing falls!
You got it fullgnarlz. The skill is there. Just do that xy cross z stroke you have and nail the boof just like you do at national every time. :roll:
FullGnarlzOC
C Maven

Post by FullGnarlzOC »

lol. i don't think strokin would make a difference.

u think there is a difference between skills vs timing? or do you think timing is more an experience thing? :)

thats what this sport(or hobby/activity if u prefer) is all about... experience. That's all it is. In the end... if everyone had the same experience, its guts and athleticism that would give an edge.

It won't be long lengthy. Not long at all. ;) just enjoy the green-ness while its still here. I can take it.
FullGnarlzOC
C Maven

Post by FullGnarlzOC »

Lengthy - do you get a decent amount of water in ur boat when you hit the boof? I hit it again today, and just like the other couple of times... i got a good amount of water in the boat. Not as much as before but still too much to feel like it should be happening if I was to hit it super clean.

Also finally ran Tommy's hole without flippin. I was 0-5 before today.

Fit the det through the race slot as well. So i remember someone sayin that they didn't think an OB fit... it does.

and Mick - it wasn't too bad.... i remember both u and i were lookin at Mark like he was crazy, and there was no way we'd fit. But its possible. Not that hard of a move either.
MrTgrips
CBoats Addict

Post by MrTgrips »

I'm scared of that slot after seeing a friend of mine pin on the upstream face. We got him just before National, his boat from the pool below. Never got his stick. :(