The Esquif Lèdge

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Louie

Post by Louie »

"Was thinking of taking it to Gualey-fest, but its really not that kind of river."

OK what does the above mean?
eddyflower

weighing my options

Post by eddyflower »

Maybe this is a silly question...
But how would the (open version) l'edge treat a SMALLER, and newbie paddler? I'm 5'6, 120 lbs before gear and looking for a confidence-inspiring open boat that will help me learn and take me far - currently have a nitro, and I love it but it might be too much boat for me.
How would the l'edge treat a beginner - would the zephyr be a better choice? (Or should I just lift some weights and stick with the nitro?)
djutzi
C Guru

Post by djutzi »

can't say about the l'Edge, except I've heard its very heavy.

however I know several smaller paddlers who do very well in the Zephyr. Its very light to begin with and you can cut down the gunnels to make it even lighter. Its also a very versatile and forgiving boat...your skills will have room to grow. The only major question I have about the Zephyr is the durability of the twin-tex...but being 120lbs should help with that...
yarnellboat
C Maven

Post by yarnellboat »

The Nitro and the Zephyr seem like fairly deep boats for somebody your size. Too bad they don't make Phantoms anymore.

Pat.
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Re: weighing my options

Post by Craig Smerda »

eddyflower wrote:Maybe this is a silly question...
But how would the (open version) l'edge treat a SMALLER, and newbie paddler? I'm 5'6, 120 lbs before gear and looking for a confidence-inspiring open boat that will help me learn and take me far - currently have a nitro, and I love it but it might be too much boat for me.
How would the l'edge treat a beginner - would the zephyr be a better choice? (Or should I just lift some weights and stick with the nitro?)
How's your roll and forward stroke now after working with Eli? :D

At your weight I feel the boat is going to be sitting a bit higher on the surface than it would for someone that weighs 150lbs or more. I don't feel that will be a bad thing but the stability really starts coming in with a little weight in it... the same holds true for any boat... canoe or kayak. Regardless this boat is very stable as most can attest. In fairness there are other boats that you may be able to paddle more easily than someone that is heavier which leaves you with other options.

In regard to your height a short canoe (this or others) might be more ideal especially considering the overall reach of your forward stroke. Some females (and men) seem to feel more comfortable in a short canoe because there is just less boat to have to move around.

I'd highly suggest you to try one (stock) to be certain you wouldn't be making a purchase you wouldn't later regret. I'd also suggest that if you chose to purchase one that you consider special ordering it and have the gunnels moved to the lowest setting and even possibly to have the gunnels lowered an 1" or 2" at the ends... at your weight you'll get away with it and it would help shave a few pounds. You could also pull the center thwarts in an 1" at the center to help your cross forward stroke reach and it will not have an adverse effect on the performance of the hull. Lastly... you might consider raising the saddle height an 1" to also improve your reach.

It's always hard to say what's going to work for someone you've never met... but I hope this was helpful.
Esquif Canoes Paddler-Designer-Shape Shifter
Louie

Post by Louie »

The open version would be great for the smaller paddler, when we say heavy that is a releavite term, it is heavy compaire to the other short PE boats. Heavy is when you are carryin it to the car not when you are paddlin it. A hellva lot to the weight is in deck the open version won't be a problem.

Yarnell what are you smokin? The Phamton is second only to the Ovulation in bad boats Dagger made and that is hard to say considerin how many of the Bob Who boats Dagger made. The worst boat Esquif ever made is head and shoulder above the Phantom, of couse that is just the view of 75% of the open boaters out there,
Yukon
Yukan Canoe

Post by Yukon »

Well there Heuy Louie, all I can say is Pat lives in British Columbia and BC's biggest export is No longer lumber, but a closely related product that is green and grows well in BC.
I have no opionon on the Phantom never even seen one 8)
Louie

Post by Louie »

Well that would explaine a lot
Yukon
Yukan Canoe

Post by Yukon »

I must add that I have never met Pat and only know he paddles the right water craft.

And what I know of BC exports all from what I have seen on TV :o
horizongfx
CBoats Addict

Phantom

Post by horizongfx »

Yukon wrote: I have no opionon on the Phantom never even seen one
How can You see a Phantom Duhhhhh !
For me; boating brings me closer to to something divine, and in a open canoe I'm 8 Inches closer.
...........O
......(___|/____)
............/.............
yarnellboat
C Maven

Post by yarnellboat »

Wahaa - huhn? You talikn' 'bout mee?

Louie, I'd have to smokin' somthing to like the boat myself, but I wasn't recommending it for me or you. I'll bet your 75% of open boaters are also bigger than 5'6" and 120lbs! Smaller people seem to love the Phantom. Whether they're smokin' anything, who knows.

Pat.
TonyB
CBoats Addict

Post by TonyB »

Louie wrote:"Was thinking of taking it to Gualey-fest, but its really not that kind of river."

OK what does the above mean?

Well the L'edge is a creek boat.
Where(and a could be wrong) the Gualey is more of the Big water veriety. My "go to" boat is the Nitro, and I have been (As Louie says) "intro" creeking with it; it's more at home on rivers like the Gualey. And yea the L'edge will be fine.... But what will I have more fun with?
Proud Yankee
Louie

Post by Louie »

I can belive as stable and dry as the Ledge is, it has to be a hellva boat for the Gauley. I guess I will know a week from Saturday.
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

Tony... big "stuff" looks even bigger in a little boat. :wink:

I think you'd be just fine and have fun in it... especially on the Lower where the play is better. I've taken the Spanish Fly down the Upper a half dozen times and it's a blast, Jeremy ran the Blackfly last year... heck... people take squirt boats and playboats down it... they also know the river though... so your mileage may vary.

At the end of the day though it's your decision to make and you should take whatever you feel more comfortable and more confident in. I know what I'll be in next weekend... a raft!!!

j/k on that raft comment btw

:lol:
Esquif Canoes Paddler-Designer-Shape Shifter
Jim Michaud
CBoats Addict

Post by Jim Michaud »

Jim I am a little bit of a bull shitter myself, but I like listen to an expert so please keep talkin about how much heavier the new boat is .....than those barges you are paddlin now.
Gee, I thought that the L'Edge was a pretty light boat. I just weighed my Caption barge and it was a hefty 83 pounds. I guess that all those patches add up after a while. And I thought that it only felt heavier because I was starting to get old.

Jim