Rolling in the gnarly stuff

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

ian123
CBoats Addict

Post by ian123 »

RodeoClown
BlackFly Canoes

Post by RodeoClown »

I can cross-roll in a hole fairly reliably, but have no idea how it actually works... just kind of happens. I'm pretty sure I've rolled up off my elbow on my off-side at least once. Handrolls, not so much...
Jeremy Laucks
Owner, Blackfly Canoes
http://www.blackflycanoes.com
Mr.DeadLegs
CBoats Addict

Post by Mr.DeadLegs »

if you are lucky enough to meet a woman from georgia named Gabby at ALF or another paddle ask her to show you a proper handroll. She can hang out, let the boat stall out, let the boat fill up, etc and roll it up without the use of a paddle. It may shame you to watch her bring a boat up.
"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to slide in sideways totally worn out, shouting "Holy large steaming pile of dog doo what a Ride" " Nolan Whitesell
golder
CBoats Addict

Post by golder »

those videos are impressive. gonna have to give it a go again.
ain't nothin but water, rocks, and gravity
Longboatin
CBoats Addict

break the silence

Post by Longboatin »

Whoa, i ll havta go wid Eli at dis jus got innerestin.

So...whoa a low brace is now done wid the back of the blade!!????

I know, its been modeled here on many a video, but i dont think I can consider the "arms down stiff paddl outrigger of sorts" a real stroke. Youll have better control using the powr face for bracin.

peece
FullGnarlzOC
C Maven

Post by FullGnarlzOC »

Can a 'stroke' that serves as a 'brace' right the boat from being almost completely on it's side?
http://www.gnarlzoutdoors.com
Silverbirch Canoes - North American Distributor
Email: tom@gnarlzoutdoors.com
ncdavid
CBoats Addict

Post by ncdavid »

FullGnarlzOC wrote:And as for the hand roll... those that can do it, can only do so with momentum.

Show me someone that can hand roll an OC1 after they let it hang upside down for a couple seconds.
Okay. http://canoeist.smugmug.com/Paddling/Wh ... 8474_ZczFH
ncdavid
CBoats Addict

Re: break the silence

Post by ncdavid »

Longboatin wrote:Whoa, i ll havta go wid Eli at dis jus got innerestin.

So...whoa a low brace is now done wid the back of the blade!!????

I know, its been modeled here on many a video, but i dont think I can consider the "arms down stiff paddl outrigger of sorts" a real stroke. Youll have better control using the powr face for bracin.

peece
Yes, the low brace is done with the back face of the blade. Always has been, right?
oopsiflipped
CBoats Addict

Post by oopsiflipped »

yes, low brace = back face.
philcanoe
C Maven

Post by philcanoe »

...believe that power face was for a offside low brace
  • ?
OC1er
CBoats Addict

Post by OC1er »

I've always felt like the low brace is one of our advantages over kayakers. Using the back face gets your arms into a position where you can do a push up motion to really get the most out of the resistance. Watch the butt boats, what they call a low brace is really a low angle high brace (on the power face of the paddle) and the shoulder is always at risk. The other advantage the single stick gives you is that you can get your Tgrip out past the edge of the boat when low bracing - the entire paddle is over the water so you can really get all your weight over the paddle for the push up / sit up / climbing angled forward sweep motion. Trade off is no low brace on the off side, but that beats no low brace at all!
Its not about the approach. Its about control in the hole.
Longboatin
CBoats Addict

pushups?

Post by Longboatin »

Well usin a bentshaft, powr face must be used, ifn I switch to straight stick I still do the same. Dont know how good a position havin tgrip hand upside down is. I'd say try doing actual pushups with one hand palm up on the floor, the other normal. Seems to me would be fairly difficult
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

You're not pushing *down* with the t-grip hand in a low brace and its always with the back face, shaft hand and elbow over the shaft.

Offside low brace is not something I do often, but when I've tried it was also on the back face, though with the t-grip back near my offside hip. Not very effective most times. An offside high brace comes in handy a little more often.
markzak
CBoats Addict

Post by markzak »

I never use an offside lowbrace... silly stroke if you ask me. If you think you're getting pulled over to your offside and are gonna flip, use a righting pry or a huge draw on your onside... hence the name "righting pry". I use the draw maybe more than the pry, but depends on where the paddle is when i need it. If you lose balance while you're on your offside already, throw over for a draw on your onside...fast. The motion of switching sides should throw your wait to your other edge and keep you from flipping, plus the draw/pry stroke when you get over there.
cadster
CBoats Addict

Bracing

Post by cadster »

OC1er wrote:I've always felt like the low brace is one of our advantages over kayakers.
A more powerful low brace might be an advantage for beginning or intermediate paddlers, but to do advanced whitewater bracing is too passive. Proactive strokes get you to were you need to go whereas braces are just saving you from a flip. A high brace is faster to change into a power/control stroke than a low brace. Any advantage a canoer has making a low brace over a kayaker is negated by the canoer’s higher center of gravity.