Esquif customer service ROCKS

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

gumpy
C Maven

Post by gumpy »

you got it all wrong gnar-gnar. it broke cuz it was made from wimpy kayak plastic. they haven't yet developed a plastic strong enough for the rigors of open boating.
Joe
Lappie
C Guru

Post by Lappie »

I heard it is not the first one... What did Esquif had to say about it?
we'll c
C Boater

Cold weather a factor?

Post by we'll c »

Anyone else have information on how much more brittle the plastic becomes in the cold? I imagine it is a factor. I'm all for winter paddling, but maybe there is a cost beyond comfort???
Creeker
CBoats Addict

Post by Creeker »

Smurf I'm really happy for you. This is a very expensive canoe (by my standards). I can't help that feeling of shock.....when we (the forum) were talking about new canoe warrenty last month and I stated that I thought there should be some warrenty......the chatter back was that I was nuts to even think so. I'm glad this seems to be proven wrong. Nice going Esquif.
Lennart
Pain Boater

Post by Lennart »

It is the god of open canoeing,God does not like you to wear skirts, This his revenge, only a bit off. Stay in the open, then iw ill not happen again.. :wink:

Cold temperature do not help. Most freak accidents like this that I know of are in cold freezing temps.
Propper Writing in English, how do you do that, with dyslexia, bad hand eye coordination, ect. and in a foreign language
sorry fore all the mistakes.
Gary B
Pain Boater

Post by Gary B »

How strong are welds in PE. Does the repaired area become a weak spot?
Creeker
CBoats Addict

Post by Creeker »

without hardly a doubt if welded, even well, it would open up in the same crack in time. And especially so if you boat lots of lower volume creeks and class 4 thrown in.
Creeker
CBoats Addict

Post by Creeker »

thats just such a tough spot for plastic stress (under the seat)
philcanoe
C Maven

Post by philcanoe »

I'd not frett too much, there's a bunch of them around... as well as they've (Esquif) got Spanish Fly's and Preludes, to learn from also. Good to know the warranty is good, but I'd not worry about having to weld one either. There are a ton of welded kayaks out there, and my welds have held up well. ANd has allowed me several more years, from a already well worn hull. Go ahead an wear out the second one too....
Creeker
CBoats Addict

Post by Creeker »

@Gary B.

NO MATTER WHAT WELDS suck......

This weld only lasted me 6 months!!!!
Busted open AGAIN! after my daughter took her out to get busy on "The Stairs" rapid.
Facebook permissions wide open for ALL to see.

click here: MY FIRST WELD JOB
funkidreadz
C Guru

Post by funkidreadz »

NO MATTER WHAT WELDS suck......
I disagree there are people out there who can weld well, plastic welding done properly is as good as it was before.

I had 30cms cut out of a SpanishFly and professionally welded back together in 2004 the boat is still in one piece, and I ride my boats hard

Welding plastic is like welding metal if you know how and use the right tools anything is possible

knee deep powder in Laax today yum yum yum!

James
Creeker
CBoats Addict

Post by Creeker »

Agreed james,

Some welds do actually stand up..... Some skilled hands have reasonable success. The most important thing for people to do is get the skilled hand on the boat for the very first weld. But the vast majority of welds out there don't last even 1 creeking season. I've seen some guys weld daily to get their runs in for 6 months.....sort of laughable but I feel their pain....boats are expensive....especially canoes.
Gary B
Pain Boater

Post by Gary B »

Creeker, good job! You could start a business fixing them.. You'd clean up. :)
Creeker
CBoats Addict

Post by Creeker »

you know I've been wanting to weld boats for long time since my first creekboat that I had 9 taped cracks.

If there was a welding class for a weekend I'd go just to learn how cause it would be great to help folks out.
Wiggins
C Guru

Post by Wiggins »

Lappie,

What have you heard? Is there a patern to where or how the boats are crackong?

I am trying to decide between a L'edge, Prelue, or Maxim. If L'edges are prone to failing it will definitely effect my decision.

Kyle