Suggestions for updating the commercial fleet?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

agrestal
C Guru

Suggestions for updating the commercial fleet?

Post by agrestal »

We're updating the canoe fleet this coming season with maybe 5 new boats. We mostly get canoists age 50+. Do you think if we update the existing fleet of mostly older style boats with the more modern styles we'll attract a wider variety of canoists? If so, what would you suggest as good options for a commercial outfitter that would be more attractive to potential customers?

Our existing canoe equipment:

C-1s
Dagger Atom (2)
Dagger Cascade (3)
Perception Ultraclean

Solo Canoes
Bell Ocoee
Esquif Zoom
Esquif Vertige
Mad River Outrage (2)
Mad River Outrage X (2)
Mad River Rampage
Mohawk Probe 12 (2)
Mohawk Viper 12

Tandem Canoes
Esquif Blast
Esquif Vertige X
Mad River Howler
Mad River Synergy
Mohawk Probe 14 (2) - Tandem or Solo
Mohawk XL 15 (2)

Thanks!
Shannon
canoera hasta la muerte
www.CostaRicaRios.com
iRolled
BlackFly Canoes

Post by iRolled »

Viper 11's
Team Blackfly
http://www.blackflycanoes.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.astraldesigns.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.immersionresearch.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ncdavid
CBoats Addict

Post by ncdavid »

Out of your current fleet, which boats are the most popular with your boaters? Have you had requests for certain boats that you don't have?
Lappie
C Guru

Post by Lappie »

From what you can read all over, it look like it woud be a must to have a few L'Èdges. What about a BigDog Force OC1( not out yet, but soon!). And wile I'm at it, a Black Fly Option!! Ok an other canadian one, Hellman Otter, 10' 35lbs...
RodeoClown
BlackFly Canoes

Post by RodeoClown »

I'd guess that if you had some more modern Options, you'd be able to market to a younger crowd. People like having Options. :lol:

I'd also suggest adding a modern c-1 river runner conversion, something like a Large burn.

The L'edge is also an obvious choice.
Jeremy Laucks
Owner, Blackfly Canoes
http://www.blackflycanoes.com
agrestal
C Guru

Post by agrestal »

The Viper 12, Outrage, and tandem Blast are probably the most popular of our current fleet. We haven't had much feedback on what people would like to see added, so I'm thinking boat selection might be limiting us from potential guests. I like the Burn or equivalent popular conversion idea and I was also thinking a Fly and L'Edge since they are so popular. If you wanted to come boating in Costa Rica, most likely for a week of personal first descents, what would you want to see offered in our inventory?

And I like the Option option - can't wait to do some demoing! Should hold up better than Royalex on the rivers here.
canoera hasta la muerte
www.CostaRicaRios.com
TheKrikkitWars
CBoats.net Staff

Post by TheKrikkitWars »

Straight up: Prelude, L'Edge & Blackfly are all missing.

After that: A C1 new school playboat (the Jackson boats are well regarded) would probably find some use and A C1 river-runner/creeker (My money would be Nomad, Jefe, Remix or Pure; but the Everest, Diesel and Force are all well regarded by people who like boats with edges.)
Joshua Kelly - "More George Smiley than James Bond"

CBoats Moderator - Not necessarily representing the CBoats staff though...(I'll use words like "moderator", "We" and "CBoats" to make it clear when I am)
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

Pink... definitely PINK :lol:
Esquif Canoes Paddler-Designer-Shape Shifter
Larry Horne
C Maven

Post by Larry Horne »

+1 on the Burn or Remix C1s.... outfitted with an adjustable, comfortable, and secure setup of course.
Larry
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Re: Suggestions for updating the commercial fleet?

Post by sbroam »

agrestal wrote::

C-1s
Dagger Atom (2)
Dagger Cascade (3)
*Perception Ultraclean*
?! I thought I was the only one who C-1ed an Ultraclean :lol:

I would imagine stocking / outfitting C-1s would be challenging...

I'd second the plastic open boat suggestions - L'Edge, Spanish and Black Flies, Prelude, etc.
TheKrikkitWars
CBoats.net Staff

Re: Suggestions for updating the commercial fleet?

Post by TheKrikkitWars »

sbroam wrote:I would imagine stocking / outfitting C-1s would be challenging...
Not really, Knee and thigh straps on a dagger (Or Larry Horne special) saddle, with velcro hip pads and backband and you're done.

Also It's possible to make outfitting that takes standardised push fit bulkheads that each person could cut to fit, from less than $10 worth of foam (I don't have photo's yet).

Also if the Ultraclean is as slicy as the Mr Clean, I imagine it's a freaking amazing boat!
Joshua Kelly - "More George Smiley than James Bond"

CBoats Moderator - Not necessarily representing the CBoats staff though...(I'll use words like "moderator", "We" and "CBoats" to make it clear when I am)
Todhunter
Ridge Spirit Outfitting

Post by Todhunter »

I'm strongly considering coming in 2012 after you get a L'Edge on the roster.
Matt Todhunter
Ridge Spirit Outfitting - Custom Bulkhead Canoe Saddles
Pierre LaPaddelle
CBoats Addict

Post by Pierre LaPaddelle »

Hey Shannon

When I spent my week with CRR last spring, the fleet seemed to be a little slanted toward to the big, conservative boats.

This was good for about half the group, who were not ready for little and sporty. But for the other half. . . ?

I would agree with many of the above comments -- time to bring in some smaller, hi-tech hulls: L'edge, Prelude, Viper 11, more Ocoees, and -- Yes -- maybe some 'Fly' boats: Spanish Fly, Blackfly.

C-1s -- Yes! As Larry said, Burn and Remix conversions are among the most popular.

And -- time to weed out the old soft squishy hulls!

Rick
C'est l'aviron. . . !
gumpy
C Maven

Post by gumpy »

looks like "old school" is pretty well represented. i'd say balance that with the hottest boats out there- blackfly option, and l'edge.
Joe
Einar
CBoats Addict

Post by Einar »

A Spanish Fly would be great on your rivers and a tandem Blast would be excellent fun. If you had those I would paddle both for a change up.
A Detonator would be all round good.

Irregardless, a good smart canoe Rigging Outfitter on the crew makes a big difference in the clients experience and the word of mouth.
A mismatched boat can be changed tomorrow and no boat is new forever but a poorly rigged or maintained boat gets hung on the company.
Stock vynll bond and D rings, sheet happens.

It's great you are "upping" the fleet, two friends are heading down your way in week so your rep is good. Let us know what you boats you pick.