L'edge: is anyone keeping the decks?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Todhunter
Ridge Spirit Outfitting

Post by Todhunter »

I have a decked version and for now am not planning to chop it. I did paddle Chattooga 3.5 last weekend and that hike-out SUCKED, but I'm still not ready to chop it. I keep hearing that a full chop saves you 9-10 lbs. My boat weighs 68.5 lbs with bags, battery, and pump installed.

I am planning on a Mitchell breakdown paddle eventually. I think it will fit in the stern just fine.

The only time on the water I think I wish it was open is when I am swimming. With the decks on, there are very little places to grab your boat to help drag it to shore!

I am working on a roll now and have heard the open version is easier to roll. If I just can't get a roll in the decked version, but can in an open...that may motivate me to cut like Torre did. I don't have the skills or know-how to open it all the way up with wood, though it sure does look good!
Matt Todhunter
Ridge Spirit Outfitting - Custom Bulkhead Canoe Saddles
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

Matt... I have both versions and can tell you that I don't find one more easy or difficult to roll than the other.

James Weir

I have read much about the difference in rolling the two models, one being easier than the other and blah blah blah...I didn't deliberatle capsize to test these theories just rolled when I capsized, I found both boats quite easy to roll when necessary and have concluded that boiling and aerated white water makes much more of a difference to how easy it is to roll than whether I have gunwales or lids on my canoe.
Personal mileage may vary.
Esquif Canoes Paddler-Designer-Shape Shifter
kimmieOC1
C Guru

Post by kimmieOC1 »

Todhunter

I did paddle Chattooga 3.5 last weekend and that hike-out SUCKED, but I'm still not ready to chop it.[quote
Yes it does. :wink:
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

68 pounds?! That's 20 pounds more than my SF (bags, no pump) and Remix ( w/skirt and bags) and within 2 pounds of my 16' Royalex touring canoe :o
OhCeeOne
C Boater

Post by OhCeeOne »

The open version is much easier to handle that the decked one. There's just no where to grab it and the wide thwarts dont help.
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

sbroam wrote:68 pounds?! That's 20 pounds more than my SF (bags, no pump) and Remix ( w/skirt and bags) and within 2 pounds of my 16' Royalex touring canoe :o
Craig Smerda wrote:L'edge Volume = 149 gallons (that's a lot of plastic folks)

Compared to a few popular creeking kayaks advertised specs...

Jackson Villian
•Length: 8’-8”
•Width: 27.0”
•Volume: 92.5 gallons
•Weight: 50 lbs (SL)

Liquid Logic Remix 79
•Length: 8’-11”
•Volume: 79 gallons
•Weight: 46 lbs

Pyranha Burn L
•Length: 8’-3”
•Volume: 80.3 gallons
•Weight: 44 lbs

Fluid Solo L
•Length: 8’-0”
•Width: 25.5”
•Volume: 75 gallons

Dagger Nomad L
•Length: 8’-5”
•Width: 26.5”
•Volume: 78 gallons

Wavesport Habitat 80
•Length: 8’-4”
•Width: 25.5”
•Volume: 80 gallons
•Weight: 42 lbs

Bliss-Stick Mystic
•Length: 8’-0”
•Width: 26.0”
•Volume: 73 gallons
•Weight: 47 lbs

Riot Magnum 80
•Length: 8’-4”
•Width: 26.5”
•Volume: 80 gallons
•Weight: 45 lbs

Necky Crux
•Length: 7’-7”
•Width: 25.0”
•Volume: 72 gallons
•Weight: 44 lbs

and lastly... the Robson Finkenmeister
•Length: 9’-2”
•Width: 28.0”
•Volume: 74 gallons
•Weight: 37.48 lbs

Yep... this boat at 9'-2" x 29"W and 21" at the ends is going to be a bit heavier... I wish it were a bit lighter as well... but that's part of the price you pay for the durability of plastic.
OhCeeOne wrote:The open version is much easier to handle that the decked one. There's just no where to grab it and the wide thwarts dont help.
I don't think it is... but maybe I'm biased
http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=1532606122462
eddyhops
CBoats Addict

Post by eddyhops »

Craig Smerda wrote:I don't think it is... but maybe I'm biased
How 'bout an apples to apples comparison, how many 'gallons' is a Superfly, Spanish Fly, or Prelude?
JD
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

eddyhops wrote:How 'bout an apples to apples comparison, how many 'gallons' is a Superfly, Spanish Fly, or Prelude?
Less :lol:

The 3D modeling program gives you the volume otherwise I wouldn't know... and wouldn't care what the volume is.

It's BIGGER than all three of the boats you just listed

My buddy has a Pyranha Karnali and he loves it (until he has to pick it up or carry it) and there's no way on earth that boat weighs 48lbs... NO WAY!!!
http://www.pyranha.com/kayaks.php?kayak=Karnali
milkman
C Maven

Post by milkman »

The open version is much easier to handle that the decked one. There's just no where to grab it and the wide thwarts dont help.
One of my favorite ways to carry a canoe is to rest the gunwales between the thwarts that frame the seat area on my shoulder. That allows you to use one hand to steady your boat and the other hand to use a paddle as a walking stick to help you negotiate difficult and/or slippery terrain. With the open version with wood gunwales, you'd be able to do that. With the decked version or the open versions created by many owners you would not. You pretty much have to carry the canoe on your head, "canoehead" style. Not a bad thing necessarily--it's probably better for your back--especially if the canoe is around 60 pounds.
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

milkman wrote:
One of my favorite ways to carry a canoe is to rest the gunwales between the thwarts that frame the seat area on my shoulder. That allows you to use one hand to steady your boat and the other hand to use a paddle as a walking stick to help you negotiate difficult and/or slippery terrain. With the open version with wood gunwales, you'd be able to do that. With the decked version or the open versions created by many owners you would not. You pretty much have to carry the canoe on your head, "canoehead" style. Not a bad thing necessarily--it's probably better for your back--especially if the canoe is around 60 pounds.
fwiw... I pick the boat up backwards and rest the back of the saddle against my forehead... the front of the saddle rests against my lower back. It's very easy to carry it this way and keep your hands free. If for some reason you feel you're going to fall you just quickly roll the boat off your back and let it hit the ground. No tired arms... no sore neck.

(seen here) http://vimeo.com/15445776 (edit... I was actually carrying it bow forward here but it was a short walk)

Dooley carries his boat on his shoulder though... so it must work fine for him... but he's part Wookie. :lol:
milkman
C Maven

Post by milkman »

You do make it look easy, but that was a pretty friendly path, not the kind of steep, slippery, rock-strewn, tree-branch-full, ugly put-ins and take-outs I was thinking of. Nice hat though.
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

milkman wrote:You do make it look easy, but that was a pretty friendly path, not the kind of steep, slippery, rock-strewn, tree-branch-full, ugly put-ins and take-outs I was thinking of. Nice hat though.
That's the same way I've carried my boats up Panther Creek in the past... the advantage is being able to use the paddle like a walking stick/brace... or just drag it. It works for me. :wink:

So... getting back to the "decks"... :lol:
Bob P
CBoats Addict

Post by Bob P »

Craig Smerda wrote:...You pretty much have to carry the canoe on your head, "canoehead" style. Not a bad thing necessarily--it's probably better for your back--especially if the canoe is around 60 pounds.
I managed to compress my spine after years of carrying my boat on my head. (This was preceded by several years of headstands, so I can't directly attribute the boat to the injury, but a word to the wise...)
Bob P
busterblue
CBoats Addict

Post by busterblue »

Is it a real pain-in-the-butt to take airbags in and out (with the decks on)? I'm in habit of removing my airbags between trips for fear of mildew.
OhCeeOne
C Boater

Post by OhCeeOne »

Craig Smerda wrote:
OhCeeOne wrote:The open version is much easier to handle that the decked one. There's just no where to grab it and the wide thwarts dont help.
I don't think it is... but maybe I'm biased
http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=1532606122462
yeah i was really referring to hopping out on a rock in the middle of a rapid and dumping. Or wrangling a buddies to shore after a swim. But thanks for that educational boat loading video! :roll: