L'edge: is anyone keeping the decks?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Smurfwarrior
C Maven

Post by Smurfwarrior »

I just added 'normal' rope grab loops on mine. Really helps at times and will allow someone to hold onto the rear.

I kept my decks, on the floor of the garage after I removed them :)
busterblue
CBoats Addict

Post by busterblue »

I kept my decks, on the floor of the garage after I removed them
Smurf, what were your goals for making the big cut? Aesthetics? Weight?
Smurfwarrior
C Maven

Post by Smurfwarrior »

Weight mostly, and I like the looks of the open model. It was soooo very dry that I knew I wouldn't miss them so I put wood gunwales on it. Here's a tip... pay the extra money and have them put on right. Its just a huge paid in the butt and curving the ends to make it as close to the ends as they get at the factory was near impossible for little ol me.

If you like the tops for the looks or whatnot, get the decked, but dont think you'll be a that much drier than in the open one.... its runs super dry open or closed.
milkman
C Maven

Post by milkman »

Smurf,

How much lighter did you get the boat to be? (I notice on the Esquif website they don't give weights for decked and open. I'm assuming the 56 pounds they list is for the decked version, but heck, I don't know ...)
Lappie
C Guru

Post by Lappie »

I think 56lbs is actualy for the open version... and just over 60 lbs for the decked one.
Maybe Craig will tell us.
Smurfwarrior
C Maven

Post by Smurfwarrior »

Decked, just over 70 with pump.... open, just over 60 with pump. I'd say it lost about 9 pounds or a hair more with the top gone. YMMV
Smurfwarrior
C Maven

Post by Smurfwarrior »

I also switched out the thwarts for thinner (standard-ish size) ones. I'm sure that helps. The pump is because I'm lazy and paddle with yakers who hardly slow down and with no time to dump I flip the switch. I do however find myself hardly flipping it these days in this boat. In the Zoom I just left it on. :)
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

busterblue wrote:Is it a real pain-in-the-butt to take airbags in and out (with the decks on)? I'm in habit of removing my airbags between trips for fear of mildew.
If you just leave them in, you will never see the mildew :lol: More seriously, I deflated the bags in my SF for the first time in a very, very long time (a year at least) after a pool session and not a sign of mildew. I have my first air bags ever (it really time to let go :oops: ) - I've had them since 93 or so and they were second hand then. No mildew. I have seen mildew on the inside of the fill tubes on some bags, but that's it.

I'm not sure if mildew actually causes damage, but I wouldn't worry about it. I did have a yellow paddling jacket once that mildewed badly enough for it to pass as a cheetah costume so I haven't bought much yellow (or lightly colored) paddle gear since. That new Stohlquist drysuit does make me a little nervous, but it is getting treated like royalty :lol:
Smurfwarrior
C Maven

Post by Smurfwarrior »

Wiggins- you warrantee will remain intact.
Mine was a decked model which I made an open with wood gunwales. Esquif had no problem taking care of the boat. Just remember, you get the warrantee for the boat you purchase NOT what you turn it into. With that in mind, the extra $ for the open is worth it if that's what you plan on doing so you don't lose in the end. Esquif has been excellent to deal with, so no worries.
Wiggins
C Guru

Post by Wiggins »

Good to know!

I was considering making a convertable model, but then decided to just go open. It should be here Friday!

Appomattox River Company has a great deal on the L'edge. $1590 decked or $1890 open shipped from one side of the country to another.

Kyle
Smurfwarrior
C Maven

Post by Smurfwarrior »

Yeah, thats where I got mine. Great people to deal with and a great price.
tvann
C Boater

Post by tvann »

Bought mine from Appomattox also. Super nice people, great price, and my boat arrived a day earlier than expected.
pmp
CBoats Addict

taking airbags out

Post by pmp »

re taking airbags out. well see the paddlepointer video about that. but to sum up. i've never ever taken the bags out of the taureau, (well actually i've never taken airbags out of any boat:) now, things freeze up here so maybe less mildew... on the other hand, who cares if there's mildew on the airbags, it won't eat nylon will it?
paul
bubblestreet.ca
theracane.ca
bald1
Pain Boater

Post by bald1 »

Crap ypu guys are killing me with this boat. I must have one, and seeing all these mods just makes it worse.

I may have to sell a couple of boats to fund this!
Smurfwarrior
C Maven

Post by Smurfwarrior »

Drink the RED koolaid. It's tasty :)