L'edge Outfitting

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

dafriend wrote:It meets, no... exceeds all my expectations so far.
In terms of my expectations it's faster, drier and able to leap tall buildings.
Yeah... but does it do dishes? :lol:
Esquif Canoes Paddler-Designer-Shape Shifter
dafriend
C Guru

Post by dafriend »

Craig Smerda wrote:Yeah... but does it do dishes? :lol:
It does not. No room for dishes. What do you want!?! It's only a little over 9' long.
Cheeks
CBoats Addict

Post by Cheeks »

There is a L'edge at my uni working on her dissertation. how it got two years of work done in the six months its been out is beyond me...
Chris Loomis
fleckbass
CBoats Addict

Post by fleckbass »

Picked up the L'edge last night. :D Noticed the side-wall foam wasn't fitted well. It is seperating from the boat at the top. Might be able to work some adhesive down in and clamp the foam to the boat. What kind of adhesive is used? Not sure how successful this would be. Thinking I may just leave it as-is. Tried to get into the boat but my butt is about an inch off the saddle. I am barely on the knee pads. Started looking at the bulk head. Figuring I will trim the top, half circle, above the thigh, evenly, without angle. Should I aim for being somewhat centered on the knee pads before I start carving the saddle back rest (if necessary)? Does this sound like a good idea? Don't wanna mess this thing up.
I went raftin' once. I think it was in Ohio.

http://www.easternpaddling.com
ian123
CBoats Addict

Post by ian123 »

I would shave the bulkhead down just enough to squeeze in and then check the boat trim before I cut the back of the saddle. Adding foam sucks.
fleckbass
CBoats Addict

Post by fleckbass »

Anybody reglue sidewall foam in yet? What kind of adhesive? What was originally used? :-?

ice-breaker
Pain Boater

Post by ice-breaker »

Just picked up my new open L'Edge on Saturday (I would guess that this is probably the first or one of the first few here in Alberta). Awesome looking boat, and I cannot wait to get it on the water this weekend.

Unfortunately, it seems that the bulkhead was sized for a very short person, and in order to fit my 6'3" 210 lb body into it, I am going to have to do a substantial amount of trimming. Never having used bulkhead outfitting before, it is a bit new to me to determine the best means of getting a proper fit.

I started last night with that cool rasp-like tool pictured earlier in this thread, and it seems to work great at trimming foam a bit at a time. However, it is slow going and I will likely have to remove a lot of foam to just get my legs into the bulkhead. (I assume that it would be best to move forward enough so that my knees are approximately centred on the knee pads that are glued into the bottom of the boat.)

It was very obvious from the start (with my butt hanging way out over the back of the saddle) that I would have to remove some foam from the back of the saddle. Last night I removed about an inch of foam from the back of the seat, and it seems that I may have to trim a bit more.

Also, the low saddle seems really uncomfortable on my knees and ankles, and it seems very likely that I will have to add 1" or 1-1/2" to bring the saddle up a bit.

Question for any other tall and long-limbed L'Edge owners out there: Have you had similar experiences fitting into your new saddle? Any suggestions?

regards
dave
Yukon
Yukan Canoe

Post by Yukon »

Hi there Dave
I have the first one in the Yukon. I am 6ft and 210 and I dont fit either and my 12 year son and another smaller friend keep begging me to not start carving.( so I have not) When I first got, I could not get in very far, but I have had it at the pool and I jumped in last time and was surprised how much the new foam had compressed with others paddling it. So dont cut too much out. I am going to pull out the saddle , trim lots of the thigh hooks and add blood pressure cuffs, or thats my thought- That way it will be very adjustable..

Do you paddle with Rocky? Is that your Jackson C-1 for sale on MEC? How do u like it?
Canoe Instructor and full time canoe fanatic.
ice-breaker
Pain Boater

Post by ice-breaker »

Yukon wrote:Hi there Dave
Do you paddle with Rocky? Is that your Jackson C-1 for sale on MEC? How do u like it?
Yukon:
I have traded emails with Rocky but we have not yet met.

No, the Jackson C-1 is not mine. So far, I am strictly an OC paddler working my way down in boat size from a 16' tripping boat to a 13' tandem whitewater canoe, and now to my first solo whitewater canoe, the L'Edge. If this trend continues, who knows, a C1 may be in my future somewhere. :lol:

cheers
dave
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

ice-breaker

For "bigger" folks you will need to trim the thigh hooks and saddle to your fit. If the holes in the hooks were made bigger then smaller folks would have to figure out how to add foam to them... which is a major PITA.

Being in Alberta... fit yourself to your saddle system while wearing your drysuit and whatever you normally wear under it... if you set it up right then when warmer weather comes and you are just wearing a pair of shorts you should be able to just one click up the footpegs and still be snug as a bug in a rug.

First things first... if you feel you want a little extra height to the saddle add a 1" or higher pad to the seating area... pretty simple.

Next... you can trim a bit of foam off the part of the saddle that hits the back of your bobo and lower back... but I wouldn't suggest much more than an 1" or your trim will be all messed up. You will also slide into the seating area more easily and comfortably once you are able to get your legs in the thigh hooks.

Now the thigh hooks... if you feel you need to remove quite a bit you can use the cannister method as James used or a small saw blade. I suggest taking no more than small 1/4" size layers at a time until you fit really tightly... trying to add foam back onto the hooks frankly sucks. What I've found that works well as long as you have a steady hand is an electric carving knife (please don't tell Mrs. Smerda) and then I finish them up with the rasp and sandpaper.

There really isn't a one sit fits all way to do it... all bulkheads generally require some personalized fitting. Thing is... if you have a bulkhead setup that does fit you well and you are able to lock yourself into the boat... you'll wear your boat which greatly helps with control, rolling and having the pleasure of being able to jump in and out without fumbling about with those messy straps.

Take your time... patience is the key.
ice-breaker
Pain Boater

Post by ice-breaker »

Craig Smerda wrote:ice-breaker

What I've found that works well as long as you have a steady hand is an electric carving knife (please don't tell Mrs. Smerda) and then I finish them up with the rasp and sandpaper.

thanks Craig. I will take my time and chip away at it until it fits correctly. I think that I will stick to my rasp, rather than using my wife's electric carving knife, or I may end up with rasp marks on my butt :D

cheers
Larry Horne
C Maven

Post by Larry Horne »

Get with the times! :roll: ..these boys use lava rock bulkheads.
Larry
philcanoe
C Maven

Post by philcanoe »

ice-breaker wrote:
Craig Smerda wrote:ice-breaker

What I've found that works well as long as you have a steady hand is an electric carving knife (please don't tell Mrs. Smerda) and then I finish them up with the rasp and sandpaper.

thanks Craig. I will take my time and chip away at it until it fits correctly. I think that I will stick to my rasp, rather than using my wife's electric carving knife, or I may end up with rasp marks on my butt :D

cheers

Long thin slices - with a bread or frozen food knife does a good job, and is really controllable. With something like thigh hooks, it sometimes helps to cut out a template (plan old everyday paper) to trace around .. then flip over and do the other side. Just make sure to use same reference point to line up template. This will help to insure a nice, even, and professional job.... especially if you can hold the knife (near or) at the same angle.
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

Here's some tools not to use... :lol:

Yes I am... to tears.
fleckbass
CBoats Addict

Post by fleckbass »

Sure-Form Tool, then Dragon Skin duct taped to a can of Lysol worked well. I opened the holes about as far as I could go (wasn't much left on the inside of the thigh hole) Then had to carve the back rest a bit to keep saddle from pressing on lower back. I aimed to get my knees close to the chines. I got the carving close and paddled the boat for a weekend. Had to carve more. the second time I got it right.