L'edge Outfitting

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

I finally drank the koolaid with respect to going 100% bulkhead in the SF - I cut loose the knee bits, moved them to where they were just too tight and glued them. Then i went at it with the surform and a the shop-vac - carve, test, carve. I had on a pair of jeans to simulate the drysuit. so far it's great - secure enough to roll / play and hopping in and out is "all that". [Note, before I did this I had the bulkhead at about 80% and used thigh straps for the remaining 20% - i'd go with/without the straps depending on conditions.]

All that to say - whittle, don't saw.
Wiggins
C Guru

Post by Wiggins »

I'll second what was said about letting the foam compress before cutting away too much of it. I am 5'11", 210, and I couldn't fully get into the saddle while wearing a swimsuit. After a couple of pool sessions the foam has relaxed to the point where I can comfortably sit in the saddle in all my padded, winter gear glory.

Kyle
padlonph

Post by padlonph »

I received our LEdges just before Easter too, here in Edmonton Alberta. Must have been on the same truck load. My son, husband, and myself range from slim to big. I received some advise from Paul Mason and Andrew Westwood and we all started to trim. We took off about an inch + from the back of the saddle and trimmed down the outside of the bulkhead beside my knees and a little off the top. For myself I had to trim the inside a little for my big legs... really made a difference.

Very comfortable.

ph
milkman
C Maven

Post by milkman »

I'm curious about the inch off the seat back. Is Esquif positioning the seat too far forward? For all body types?
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

milkman wrote:I'm curious about the inch off the seat back. Is Esquif positioning the seat too far forward? For all body types?
in a single word answer... no

taller/bigger people need to trim the back of the saddle and/or the thigh hooks... there's no "universal" bulkhead that fits everyone. my buddy Roy took an inch off the back of his saddle on his new boat and we carved a 1/4" out of the thigh hooks. he's shorter than me by an 1" but has bigger legs... he's a mtn. biker and he eats a lot of potatos. I believe Dennis from Missouri fit right into his boat with no adjustments required... Dooley as well if memory serves correctly.

the same bulkhead is used in all of Esquif boats... Beluga only makes one saddle... Bob Britt only makes one saddle...
Esquif Canoes Paddler-Designer-Shape Shifter