2011 North Branch of the Potomac Armada Apr. 30-May 1

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

PAC
CBoats.net Staff

Post by PAC »

Think you can find the Donegal exit off the PA postage stamp then drive 5 more miles west. I'll have some floor space at the shack if thats not an issue.... inside and heated. Its a tad farther east & 30 min from Ohiopyle. If that works.

Let me know and I can shoot you a PM with cell and directions....

Mick, Mikey and maybe Adam might be there too.
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
Official TOG Member (Team Old Guy)!
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Sir Adam »

Looks like SBroam is sinking :lol:

Great shot, as usual:)
Keep the C!
Adam
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

It's an illoooooosion - it would take a heck of a feature to sink a Remix 79, even with me in it. Just for fun, count the C-boaters in that picture...

Y'all have fun - hope to make it back up next year...
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

Post by PAC »

ESP posted...
If the squirt is at fascination alley I know where it is at.
Yes - but its water dependant... might be moved but should be in the same general area. Usually we get Jim to assist in making the call on the exact location... since it is his back yard. LOL
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
KNeal
CBoats.net Staff

Post by KNeal »

Here is the NB of Potomace and Savage River prediction website:

http://www.nab-wc.usace.army.mil/northBranch.html

Looks like I'll be bringing my Viper c-1! :D Just got through spending Easter vacation sanding the hull, stripping off the seam tape, applying fiberglass over some repair spots, applying new seam tape and now I'm waiting for some coloring agent so I can finish the hull. As is, it is watertight and ready to GO! Just want to fill in some grooves and get a better finish on the hull. Just got through negotiations with the wife and I'm good for a Sunday paddle as long as I get away by 1:00. I think I closed the negotiations too early as I still have this whole week to get through and not screw something up which will revoke my Sunday paddle pass privileges. :roll: All you Christians out there, please pray for me--pray HARD that I don't screw this week up. All you other heathens, just show up this weekend and try not to laugh too much at my life. :wink:

The answer is 19 boaters, 17 boats.
C-boats Moderator

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing-absolutely nothing-half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Sir Adam »

What is the minimum, and best, levels for the Savage? Looks like it will be running a bit the next few days:)
Keep the C!
Adam
RodeoClown
BlackFly Canoes

Post by RodeoClown »

I'm also curious on plans for friday/c-quirt (where/when to meet, and/or where to stay thursday night, and will I be shunned if I squirt in a K-1).

I think I've run the Savage as low as 250, and it was fun. Better higher though.
Jeremy Laucks
Owner, Blackfly Canoes
http://www.blackflycanoes.com
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

Post by PAC »

Jermey since Jim usually shows up and makes all feel lame you'll not be shunned!

As for stay - when you coming in Thrusday...

Ohiopyle in the AM (8:30ish)... we'll most likely do a loop run in the AM. Then head over to PS Composite to gather the masses... off to Jims to pick him up and maybe a paddle and figure out the location to C about possible DT.

Check your PMs...
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
MrTgrips
CBoats Addict

Post by MrTgrips »

I too shall be bringing a couple K-squirts.
Here's the prediction for the Cheat at Parsons. This I think is 12 hrs upstream, so adjust accordingly.

http://water.weather.gov/ahps2/hydrogra ... ,1,1,1,1,1

The Alley will NOT be in until Mon-Tue at the earliest, depending on rain.
No-name should be in though. That may or may not be the same place we got DT last year.

Mick
:D
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Sir Adam »

Do we have an "approximate" time to meet at PS Composites? Two of the folks coming from up here are leaving after work and crashing somewhere on the way and are hoping to hook up with us there....
Keep the C!
Adam
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

The cat herding begins :-) Be sure to have the time posted in EST and KST.
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

Post by PAC »

On PS Composites - I'd say noon-ish+ based on a 8:30 meet at the Loop Put in @ Ohiopyle for a LY quick dip and past life experiences. But that said the LY is at 7+ right now and we are to get more rain... al lot more rain. It might not be something some will one to get on if they have limited stick time this season.

So make sure you have creeker / big water boat in your quiver for fall back options (Meadow Run, Cassleman, Indian Creek, etc.). Check the AWA site for details on these runs.

cell 412-310 via 6039 - there is reception in the pyle.

All EST ... if we go by KST we'll miss the water. LOL Hope Kalin is feeling the love!
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
solo_konoe
Pain Boater

Post by solo_konoe »

*Edited*
Had hoped to make it Saturday. Plans changed. Have fun all.
Last edited by solo_konoe on Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Sir Adam »

IIRC isn't 1k the "normal" release for the North Branch?

Looks like it will be running 1.5-2k for at least the next few days... and the Savage is running nicely too....

Does anyone recall the "release" the year of all the rain when we didn't boat on Sunday as it was in flood?

Not to get off-topic, but the Hudson may reach a record flood stage today (already top 2 or 3), LOTS of things running, roads washed out, etc... and more heavy rain tonight.
Keep the C!
Adam
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Sir Adam »

Looks like I'll be appearing mid morning, might just hook up with y'all at PS Composites (crashing with my uncle in Purcellville VA overnight).
Keep the C!
Adam