Thoughts on this Slalom OC1

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Smurfwarrior
C Maven

Thoughts on this Slalom OC1

Post by Smurfwarrior »

Ok, I'm in need of a cheap Slalom boat and this has been staring me in the face for a month or so now. I asked for some input on FB GDI page a while back, but my situation is such that I need one. (At least I tell myself that I do). Input please :)

http://www.mountainbuzz.com/swap/showpr ... noe&cat=22

Here is the description for those who don't want to click the link above-

I am selling my Mohawk OC-1 white water slalom boat. (I know, the sticker says Dagger, pretty sure it's a Mohawk, tho.) The boat is a kevlar/glass composite, with wooden gunwales and thwarts. It is about 15 ft long, and weighs probably 50 - 55 lb with all of the outfitting in place. This boat was purchased from one of the teams at the Nationals in Golden, CO in 1999. The bottom was getting pretty beat up, so I added another layer of Kevlar to the bottom, and did the ends as well. I used a vacuum bag process, so the repairs are smooth and dense. The boat is currently outfitted for solo, but I was told that it had been used for tandem as well. The hull is a fairly radical design, it is quick, edgy, and probably still competitive in the hands of an experienced paddler. Overall a cool old boat, with tons of training $450.
ezwater
C Maven

Post by ezwater »

Looks like an Edge, Hubbard design. I used to see a lot of them in 15' length. Might have been some made in 13' also.
philcanoe
C Maven

Post by philcanoe »

The more common was the 13'2" length, way more of these were made than ever in 15'. Most of the 15 footers were built by Mohawk, although Frankie laid-up a handful of really nice light ones. This 15' version was called THE MEDIUM EDGE(medium class) a rather slalom specific boat, that tended to be a bit wet. Due to it's unfavorable tendency to bury up underwater, when stuffed into a big juicy wave. Will surf moderately steep waves, but get ready to sub-out on the steeper. However this boat will attain unlike most any other boat, and is a joy to cruise around in.

I would check out the class structure (I believe in here) http://ocs.whitewater-slalom.us/oc-srulx.htm before buying a 15'footer, as this may not be the best class for you.... this is generally the old man, long boat class... also look/google/search for past race results to see which are the most popular events. The Medium class boats are generally a hold over, from a generation gone bye... although they are way maneuverable, speedy, fly downriver, and a joy to drive around. But may be a good-choice for the big-boy boater. John (KAZ) has a complete line-up of race boats on the Millbrook website (see sponsor page), that you might find to be of value (would be 2 me).
    ^~^~^ different strokes ~ for different folks ^~^~^
    tennOC
    Pain Boater

Post by tennOC »

Frankie called that design the Double Edge. He and Billy Keen (does anyone know what ever became of Billy Keen?) showed up at the Mulberry Fork races in March of '85 with three strip canoes- 1st and 2nd Edge protos and the Double Edge proto.

Here is Frankie in the Double Edge trying to attain upstream after surfing across the wave to gain speed.
    We ran the river above the race course and found this little surfing wave. That's Billy, Psyco, and me. That was the beginning of Team Edge.
    Gang surfing the wave at the bottom of the race course.
    Racing two Edge protos against two Rainbow Boatworks Rattlers (Psyco and I had Rattlers, Frankie had raced one the year before and went home over the winter to create his first two designs). I'm in the No. 2 Edge proto and Frankie is in my Rattler, probably the only race I ever beat him in.
    Nearly fifteen years and many designs later, Frankie is about to qualify for the '99 Worlds at Rock Island in a Skeeter. Homestyle all the way.
    BrownDog Boats- "Bring the Dog"
    cheajack
    CBoats Addict

Post by cheajack »

Thanks for posting these pics of OC history and these beautiful boats.
    philcanoe
    C Maven

Post by philcanoe »

Larry

... believe you have the names mixed, at least what he eventually called them years later. The Double Edge was his tandem that didn't quite make it. Only one was ever made, it was a blown up version of the Medium Edge (taken from). It was too-much bow down and not enough volume to handle it well. He consequently allowed us (from Ocoee Canoe Co.) to do another tandem version, which became the Advantage. This first attempt also failed to be voluminous enough also, and is the boat (one of a kind) I race medium slalom, combined, and downriver.

Those are GREAT Pics and Memories!
      ^~^~^ different strokes ~ for different folks ^~^~^
      tennOC
      Pain Boater

Post by tennOC »

Phil,
      You are probably right about the names, though I'm pretty sure he called this proto the Double Edge at the time. I dropped out of the racing scene after about '87 when we hosted the Nationals at the Ocoee.
      BrownDog Boats- "Bring the Dog"
      Craig Smerda
      L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

Wow Larry... I'm at a loss for words here... too cool.
      Esquif Canoes Paddler-Designer-Shape Shifter
      ezwater
      C Maven

Post by ezwater »

"The Medium class boats are generally a hold over, from a generation gone bye... although they are way maneuverable, speedy, fly downriver, and a joy to drive around."

Hey, I'm proud to be part of a generation gone bye, especially if it's related to the gang in those stripper photos ! 8)
      Smurfwarrior
      C Maven

Post by Smurfwarrior »

Wow...... Nice pics and such pretty boats. Any of those boats still around? Ref the original question, I'm going to pass on it as I have a Spark now, thanks Esquif!!
      fez
      CBoats Addict

Post by fez »

wow, such great pics ! Thank you!!!
      imagine
      John Coraor
      CBoats Addict

Post by John Coraor »

Here in the northeast a sizeable portion of the slalom paddlers are of the older generation. That being said, OC-1 Medium is a relatively popular class as it allows people to use the same 15' boat for both tandem and OC-1 by outfitting the boat with a triple saddle. However, I can't speak to whether that is possible with the particular model that you're considering buying.

John
      Longboatin
      CBoats Addict

Post by Longboatin »

I'm proud to have bin influence by it

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cmnypny/58 ... 6902865900
      creeklg
      c

frankie designs

Post by creeklg »

Ahhhh, great pics.

I've probably raced slalom 3 times-- always to help fill enough woman open boat slots to "make" a class.

But I do remember many weekends in the early 80s at the Noli take out trying out Frankie & Possum's latest inventions in the frigid pond (strategically located next to their homemade wood hottub.)

There were some very squirrely prototypes. 30 years later, I still favor Frankie designs even if I'm not racing.