OC1 HATE??? WHAT THE?....

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

cheajack
CBoats Addict

Re: OC1 HATE??? WHAT THE?....

Post by cheajack »

"Kayaking Sucks" stickers for all your boats available from WRW
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

Post by PAC »

Kudos for KEV for jumping in and addressing this here and at the shop and for that staff member for stepping forward too... I'm sure that was not easy!

IMHO part of the fun of being a Canoest is the give and take teasing we experience with our training paddle brothern!! :wink:
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
Official TOG Member (Team Old Guy)!
leclercraven
C Guru

Post by leclercraven »

I should've never put up this post. :oops: I am very new to this OC1 thing (August 2011) and I didn't know that there was this amicable rivalry between kayakists and canoeists. Knowing this I just would've just laughingly answered back with one of my own kayak comments. :wink: I must tell you that the lad in question was very courteous and helpful in answering all my kayak questions, I've always had great and friendly service from the OPS!! :D Didn't mean to put anybody in trouble.... :oops:
KNeal
CBoats.net Staff

Post by KNeal »

No worries here now. Since Kev came on the board and cleared up the misunderstanding, the subsequent posts are just for fun.

Cheers!

:D
C-boats Moderator

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing-absolutely nothing-half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
windowshade
C Boater

Post by windowshade »

Here's a slightly blurry photo I took just today!!!!, of the "Perp" in question, at Ottawa's Paddle Shack, who disrespected all of us canoeists!

You can see by his sloppy canoe carry technique that he's not really "One of Us"....

He didn't actually insult me but!!!!, inside....., I could hear his mumbling and I could also see by the look in his very small, and very close-set, beady eyes that he really wanted too....!

I may need counselling...

Brrrrrrr....

Paul P :o
Attachments
the one.jpg
icyone
C Guru

Post by icyone »

A little off the original topic, but a few years back I went into a relatively new paddle shop up the road looking for something for my boat -- don't actually remember just what. But it was for my C-1.
" Oh, you're talking about a sea kayak."
" No, no, -- a C-1. "
"Yes, I KNOW: a sea kayak"
etc, etc.
No matter how hard I tried to explain about a C-1, he could not get his head around the whole idea. He could not envision using a paddle with a single blade. It still, somehow, MUST be a sea kayak that I was REALLY meaning to talk about. No hate, just this dumb woman coming into his shop clueless & not getting her words straight.

Since clearly he didn't have what I wanted, it was pointless, so I just walked out. Often wondered if he ever did encounter a real C-1. (I guess it was one of the rare days when I didn't have a boat on my car.)

Oh, and the shop isn't there any more.
C-1's are the Gods of the River
Pierre LaPaddelle
CBoats Addict

Post by Pierre LaPaddelle »

If memory serves, (and I was relatively new to the forum at that time), it may have been Louie who said:

"If I had a sister in a house-of-ill-repute, and a brother in a kayak, I would try to get my brother out first."

You might quote that pearl of wisdom the next time you are challenged to defend our honour. 8)

Rick
C'est l'aviron. . . !
icyone
C Guru

Post by icyone »

(Quote:)
"If I had a sister in a house-of-ill-repute, and a brother in a kayak, I would try to get my brother out first."

Love it!!!!
C-1's are the Gods of the River
leclercraven
C Guru

Post by leclercraven »

windowshade wrote:Here's a slightly blurry photo I took just today!!!!, of the "Perp" in question, at Ottawa's Paddle Shack, who disrespected all of us canoeists!

You can see by his sloppy canoe carry technique that he's not really "One of Us"....

He didn't actually insult me but!!!!, inside....., I could hear his mumbling and I could also see by the look in his very small, and very close-set, beady eyes that he really wanted too....!

Brrrrrrr....

LOL! I did hear that this guy is a KICK-butt kayakist though! A creeker mad-man! Got to respect that. :wink:
KNeal
CBoats.net Staff

Post by KNeal »

windowshade wrote:Here's a slightly blurry photo I took just today!!!!, of the "Perp" in question, at Ottawa's Paddle Shack, who disrespected all of us canoeists!

Brrrrrrr....

In all the years I've read posts on this site, this is the first time I've seen a non-canoeist(canoer) have their image posted like you would see in the post office. :lol: We can wrap up this thread now.

Paul, the therapy you need is just time on the water. :wink: The best counseling can be had at ALF or the Spring Armada. Some claim that golden monkeys provide the best medicine to the cboater's mental health. :roll:

Go boat, people. Go! Get off the computer and go boat. Winter is winding down (for those who actually had a real winter). So, go get on a river, a creek, a pond, a lake, a stream. GO BOAT! 8)
C-boats Moderator

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing-absolutely nothing-half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
ViewfromaCanoe
c

Post by ViewfromaCanoe »

cheajack wrote:"Kayaking Sucks" stickers for all your boats available from WRW

I saw one of these stickers while riding in the car with my kayaker friends. Whatever happened to the Golden Rule. Being a hater certainly isn't going to fix the haters.

If you've got one of these stickers (or a similar attitude) try and be quiet and don't ruin canoeing for the rest of us. How old are we now?
windowshade
C Boater

Post by windowshade »

leclercraven wrote:

Brrrrrrr....

LOL! I did hear that this guy is a KICK-butt kayakist though! A creeker mad-man! Got to respect that. :wink:

Hi CBoater,

I'm glad you got that my posting was a joke. I kayak and canoe and can't seem to decide which one I like better. Canoeists and kayakers have been teasing each other since the beginning of time and will probably continue to do so for the rest of times. Being on both side of the proverbial fence means I get to tease both.

Cheers,

Paul :D
leclercraven
C Guru

Post by leclercraven »

windowshade wrote:
leclercraven wrote:

Brrrrrrr....

You know, all of this kayak vs canoe war reminds me of the PC vs MAC thing! I don't mind working on either, but I prefer the Mac. :wink:

"Hello, I'm a Yak....and I'm a Canoeist!" :lol:

Hi CBoater,

I'm glad you got that my posting was a joke. I kayak and canoe and can't seem to decide which one I like better. Canoeists and kayakers have been teasing each other since the beginning of time and will probably continue to do so for the rest of times. Being on both side of the proverbial fence means I get to tease both.

Cheers,

Paul :D
djutzi
C Guru

Post by djutzi »

Whoa! This conversation really evolved!

Just wanted to add quick note apologizing for calling out PaddleShack by name (though really they are the only boating store in town now :wink: ). My original post might have come off the wrong way - I've actually had really good experiences dealing with those guys...hence my surprise. And judging by that photo it seems they're really filling up the store with some open boats - its getting me all hot and bothered for some time on the river!

And for those of you who tell us to just go paddle: easy for you to say! Our rivers are frozen over up here! Can't wait for ALF...
Todhunter
Ridge Spirit Outfitting

Post by Todhunter »

ViewfromaCanoe wrote:
cheajack wrote:"Kayaking Sucks" stickers for all your boats available from WRW

I saw one of these stickers while riding in the car with my kayaker friends. Whatever happened to the Golden Rule. Being a hater certainly isn't going to fix the haters.

If you've got one of these stickers (or a similar attitude) try and be quiet and don't ruin canoeing for the rest of us. How old are we now?
That sticker was created by a kayaker as a joke...we canoeists merely picked up the ball and ran with it.
Matt Todhunter
Ridge Spirit Outfitting - Custom Bulkhead Canoe Saddles