Any tips for lightening an Option?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

boatbuster
CBoats Addict

Any tips for lightening an Option?

Post by boatbuster »

Mine weighs 60 pounds and I don't even have a pump in it yet. Are those pieces of PVC pipe in the holes through the saddle necessary? That would shave off a few ounces. The holes are a couple inches off the bottom of the boat...I wouldn't mind cutting a few more but I don't want to do anything that would create stress points that could lead to cracks, and mini-cell does not weigh much anyway. Anything else you can do to cut the weight? I am used to boats that weigh in the 40s.
FullGnarlzOC
C Maven

Re: Any tips for lightening an Option?

Post by FullGnarlzOC »

Here's my tip for lightening an option.... Don't put a pump in it. and Keep water out of your boat

:)
http://www.gnarlzoutdoors.com
Silverbirch Canoes - North American Distributor
Email: tom@gnarlzoutdoors.com
arhdc
CBoats Addict

Post by arhdc »

I do beleive that the PVC pipe is nessissary, otherwise the mini cell can't take the stress. The peices of PVC don't weigh much anyway. Likewise, you really are not going to make much of an impact on the weight removing more mini cell. The stuff used for saddles is 2 lbs/sqft so a 12x12x12 inch chunk is only 2 lbs.

ESP cut something like 5 lbs on his by cutting the plastic gunwales off and putting ash gunwales on. I guess he lost about an inch of freeboard but it looks SWEET. This seems like the best option (no pun) to get rid of some weight.

You may loose a pound or se with lighter airbags also.

The Millbrook composite StinkEye should be avalible soon. It's very similar to the option and will be very light (< 30 lbs).
~Aaron~

Just being willing to try is half the battle.
Bob Wiggins
C Guru

Post by Bob Wiggins »

Man up! :D That weights just the price you pay for such a great boat in pe. I don't think there's any effective way to cut down the weight by more than an ounce or two except by cutting off the gunwales. And always remember- its lighter than a l'edge.
ian123
CBoats Addict

Post by ian123 »

I think I have to echo Wiggin's comment. There are quite a few smaller boaters paddling 60+lb boats. Suck it up.
ian123
CBoats Addict

Post by ian123 »

60 lbs is starting to overlap with the L'edge in term of weight
TNbound
CBoats Addict

Post by TNbound »

arhdc wrote: ESP cut something like 5 lbs on his by cutting the plastic gunwales off and putting ash gunwales on. I guess he lost about an inch of freeboard but it looks SWEET. This seems like the best option (no pun) to get rid of some weight.

I'd like to see pictures of an Option with ash gunwales.

The Option is what it is; a slightly heavy, VERY rugged creek boat. In my mind, if you want the durability to creek without wrecking a royalex boat, you wont care so much about the weight. Just like if you really want a pump you can suck up the extra 2 pounds or whatever it is. As an aside, I think a pump is unneeded in a boat that rolls up with 3 or 4 inches of water in it and paddles very dry.

Also, +1 to leaving the PVC in the saddle (saving a couple ounces isn't worth compromising the strength of the boat) and +1 to what Gnarlz said.
-Anthony

"I'm gonna run this one river left I think.... So far river left, that I'm gonna be on the bank. With my boat on my shoulder."
arhdc
CBoats Addict

Post by arhdc »

Sorry no photoes of ESP's Option with wood gunwales but here is a video it appears in by Dale Briggs Footage.

The Option first appears about 33 seconds in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fItFhiFj6-A&sns=em

I'll look for more.
~Aaron~

Just being willing to try is half the battle.
markzak
CBoats Addict

Post by markzak »

Ed's Option with wood gunnels:

boatbuster
CBoats Addict

Post by boatbuster »

FullGnarlzOC wrote:Here's my tip for lightening an option.... Don't put a pump in it. and Keep water out of your boat

:)
Hmmmmmnnnn, maybe you are right. I may not need an electric pump. I have never used one before and the boat is pretty dry. I think it is not necessary on creeks, but I was thinking it would be nice to have on larger water.
boatbuster
CBoats Addict

Post by boatbuster »

TNbound wrote:
arhdc wrote:
The Option is what it is; a slightly heavy, VERY rugged creek boat. In my mind, if you want the durability to creek without wrecking a royalex boat, you wont care so much about the weight. Just like if you really want a pump you can suck up the extra 2 pounds or whatever it is. As an aside, I think a pump is unneeded in a boat that rolls up with 3 or 4 inches of water in it and paddles very dry.

Also, +1 to leaving the PVC in the saddle (saving a couple ounces isn't worth compromising the strength of the boat) and +1 to what Gnarlz said.
You are right. I need to stop being such wahgina. Another "option" would be for me to lose 15 pounds off my fat butt....I could put a lot of pump in the boat for that!

:o)
Smurfwarrior
C Maven

Post by Smurfwarrior »

It funny to hear people talk crap about the L'Edge's weight when its only 3 pounds heavier than the Option. :lol: The wood gunwales look awesome on Ed's boat.
boatbuster
CBoats Addict

Post by boatbuster »

markzak wrote:Ed's Option with wood gunnels:

Nice. Thanks for posting. Note, Ed has an electric pump. Maybe like me he has not yet learned how to paddle completely dry!
boatbuster
CBoats Addict

Post by boatbuster »

Smurfwarrior wrote:It funny to hear people talk crap about the L'Edge's weight when its only 3 pounds heavier than the Option. :lol: The wood gunwales look awesome on Ed's boat.
Hmmmnnn...I think it depends on the L'Edge, and the Option. Mine is one of the newer ones which probably makes it heavier. I have friends whose wood trimmed ledges are quite a bit heavier. Your results (and weights) may vary
Smurfwarrior
C Maven

Post by Smurfwarrior »

Maybe, I think the design and quality should be a bigger factor actually. We'd all be paddling Kaz's boats if weight alone was the issue. (eagerly awaiting the stinkeye though!)

Ref pumps and running dry, there are runs where you can't run dry and not have to dump. If I was running pool drop stuff, I'd just dump but out west with bigger and more continious rapids having a pump is really handy. Plus, sometimes I like the wet line as its more fun :)