Any tips for lightening an Option?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

FullGnarlzOC
C Maven

Re: Any tips for lightening an Option?

Post by FullGnarlzOC »

Pumps are for old dudes
http://www.gnarlzoutdoors.com
Silverbirch Canoes - North American Distributor
Email: tom@gnarlzoutdoors.com
Creeker
CBoats Addict

Post by Creeker »

personally I love people making mods to canoes but I'm not a fan of knocking off the whole deckplate and gunnel system molded into the option. Its a very durable design even floating along by itself after a swim. I thinks its way more likely to get bow damage/cracks for 5 lbs saved.
Bob Wiggins
C Guru

Post by Bob Wiggins »

also, kaz's boats are very high quality and nice designs. the reason were all not paddling them is durability and not having to worry about banging them on rocks. we are, after all, lazy by nature.
Smurfwarrior wrote:Maybe, I think the design and quality should be a bigger factor actually. We'd all be paddling Kaz's boats if weight alone was the issue. (eagerly awaiting the stinkeye though!)
TNbound
CBoats Addict

Post by TNbound »

Creeker wrote:personally I love people making mods to canoes but I'm not a fan of knocking off the whole deckplate and gunnel system molded into the option. Its a very durable design even floating along by itself after a swim. I thinks its way more likely to get bow damage/cracks for 5 lbs saved.

Yeeeaaaah.... I hadn't thought adding ash gunwales would include removing the deck plates. Maybe for river running, sure, but for creeking I think the deck plates are too important. (especially if you piton like I do.)
-Anthony

"I'm gonna run this one river left I think.... So far river left, that I'm gonna be on the bank. With my boat on my shoulder."
shooterav8
c

Post by shooterav8 »

I'm no salty veteran but i just switched from a Maxim (pretty darn light) to an Option, i dont notice that much difference, its there but nothing too dramatic....no way i'd consider chopping parts out of for a pound or two..