Taureau and big fellas

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

mshelton
CBoats Addict

Taureau and big fellas

Post by mshelton »

Does anyone know what the weight range, if any, is on the Taureau.

I'm between 195-210 depending on the time of year and was looking at the Taureau as a possible creek boat and for some of the more technical and rocky rivers (stuff that I am afraid of taking my composite Bigboy on for fear of busting the boat up).

So can any of you full grown fellas that own a Taureau or have paddled one give me a few words as to how you did or didn't like it?

Thanks,
Marshall
TommyC1
C Guru

Post by TommyC1 »

I go around 190 lbs and spent a day on mostly easy water in a Taureau prototype demo boat.
It handled my weight easily and I'd guess it would be fine with yours.
In the more dificult rapid (Zoar Gap on the Deerfield in Mass) I was intrigued by the feeling that the Taureau stayed on top of the foam where my Outrage would sink down in. It felt like I had much better control and didn't get pushed around by the current as much as I would in the Outrage. Unfortunately that's one short rapid so I didn't get to test that out.
Oh yeah it was a lot of fun surfing too!
I only wish it came with a skirt option.
Tommy
Scriver
c

Taureau Weight Range

Post by Scriver »

This may be a biased response since I work for Esquif and helped design the Taureau. I'm 190 and I'm enjoying the Taureau and I think that it will handle well for a heavier person. In a shorter boat weight will have a greater effect on draft. The deeper the edges the less forgiving the boat will be. So for anyone moving to a significantly shorter boat, the question is whether the advantages of shorter boat for turning, boofing surfing, spinning are worth giving up some speed and stability.

Of course length isn't the only factor for speed and stability. The flat bottom planing hull and the shape of the chine in the Taureau was meant to be stable. At the centre, it has a pretty similar shape to the Spanish fly so if you can't find a Taureau to try, it will give you an idea of the stablility. Compared to the Fly, the Taureau is slightly narrower and has a little less rocker in the bow which is meant to give it more speed and more bite for the edge. Still the ends are more rockered than a creek boat so it will spin on a wave or hole so it won't be as fast as a creek boat of similar length.

But to get back to the weight quesiton, there are C-1 and kayaks that are recommended for bigger paddlers that have similar or smaller volume. The Taureau has a bit more waterline width than most kayak hulls but OC has a higher centre of gravity requiring more width for comparable stability. But OC also has more leverage for edge transitions. In the end, especially with shorter boats that are more sensitive to your movements, you have to paddle them enough to learn the differences and decide whether that is what you want in a boat.

Hope this helps and maybe this will prompt some other comments and opinions.

Mark Scriver
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

A designer answered question... thank goodness!
Read this post over and over and over.
Useful information for everyone.

Nice job Mark!

Craig

Spring?
Larry Horne
C Maven

Post by Larry Horne »

now if mister Fink-en-meister would just explain a couple of things...
Larry
Randy Dodson
C Guru

Post by Randy Dodson »

I used to have a Quake that I loved for general river running and surfing. If the Taureau is anything like the Quake was, I gotta find one to paddle.

My Quake always performed well and I'm 200 lbs.
Parrot Head Paddler
yarnellboat
C Maven

Post by yarnellboat »

Nice to know that some 190+ lbsers think some of these smaller boats are alright.

At 210-215lbs, I'm hesitant to invest in some of the smaller designs, and wish that they would make larger models for the 200+ crowd.

I doubt I'd be comfortable in a Zoom, Prelude, Phantom, Evergreens yet-unnamed OC-1, and others sub-10'ers.

On one hand, I wish manufacturer's would provide some guidance on weight ranges for their hulls. On the other hand, I don't agree with the guidance that is offered. For example the Outrage - Outrage X switchover at 190lbs.

And, I guess we'd never be able agree on what the upper weight limit should be for a Tareau, Zoom, Detonator, Ocoee, Outrage or any particular boat.

And although I'm 210, I'm only 5'10". So it's not like I'm a top-heavy centre of gravity, which would have to something to consider.

P.
mshelton
CBoats Addict

Post by mshelton »

Thanks for the info guys, I belive there is a Taureau in my near future, once I raise a little more dough. :D