Husky paddler boats

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

TonyB
CBoats Addict

Husky paddler boats

Post by TonyB »

Im trying to descide on awhat boat I should be lusting after now.

I am on the tail end of my first openboat season and I paddle Mad River ME, (love it). I'm 6 ft 240 lbs. I want some thing more playful yet dry. Right now I paddle class II+ III Lehigh river but looking to advance.

Ive paddled a shamen, probe12, prodigy X, Nitro, Outrage, SPark and probibly something else but cant remember.
Prodigy X and Nitro are my favorites so far. didnt like the probe and the others seamed not up to my weight.
The shamen keeps jumping on and off my list. It may be because of the lap belt outfitting. Im used to splaying my legs out for better control/balance and that system makes you keep them close in. I didnt feel like I could control the boat as well as i should.

The Nitro seamed like a perfect playboat for me (felt a little twitchy but a twitch I could grow into) And it did what I told it to.

The prodigy X felt like soomeone sported up my ME, it was stable manuverable and reacted like the Me only waaaaaaaaay more responsive. But would I be just getting the same boat smaller?

Anywayy Im looking at specs but specs never give full picture I wanna hear What big people are paddling and how they work cause one mans river runner is a fat mans squirt boat. And my supposed Tandem boat (ME) works fine for me.
Proud Yankee
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

I, too, am a fan of the ME - started in one, then came back to one as a boat for taking the kids down whitewater.

What are you looking to do? River running? Play boating? Splitting the difference? Round hull or edgy? Looks like you tried some examples of both.

You might be able to outfit the Shaman more effectively - you could add foam to keep your knees out or set up thigh straps.

If you like the Nitro, try an Ocoee - might be a little wet, but can handle paddlers your (er, "our") size. You might even consider some of the rotomolded boats, like a Quake or Spanish Fly, though those would be a bigger jump from an ME. They are smaller, but there are dudes your size and bigger paddling them.

Come to the next Armada - a perfect opportunity to try out a bunch of boats. Though that won't be till next spring/summer...
ezwater
C Maven

Post by ezwater »

I like the Shaman design, but I think it's a bit small for you, and for me.

I am outfitting and getting used to the "new" Millbrook Big Boy, designed by Bob Connolly for the Grand Canyon. I like the boat, it handles well, has decent cruising speed, and it can be outfitted solo/tandem. Of course it is a composite boat, so if you have not developed a taste for the occasional repair, you'll want to pass it by.
heathkocan
c

Husky paddler boats

Post by heathkocan »

Hello,

I am 6ft 217lbs and I started off paddling a Nitro. I thought it was a good boat. Excellent secondary stability and great surfer. I just switched to a Prelude ( I like the plastic ) and contrary to many posts on this site I found the stability to be very good. I prefer the shorter boat than the length of the Nitro.
ncdavid
CBoats Addict

Post by ncdavid »

If you like the Nitro but want a bigger boat, take a look at a Blast.
TonyB
CBoats Addict

Post by TonyB »

Im looking to do a little more than runing the river, But a big person jumping into a medium boat doesnt always make for a fun ride. I want a boat that responds tomy buils in playing but doesnt bog down because it sits low in the water.
Come on BIG Boned paddlers: Weigh in!!

Im also back to novice in a lot of ways paddling these big open boats.. Turned in my double blade to escape the world of the butt-boater.
The boats I like the bst so far is the Nitro (twtchy butt hey Ive been paddling an old school that a lot of people take as a tandem and some use for flatwater.) and the Prodigy X (comfy but how much will Igrow from there) Thats my starter, or control for you scientific types out there. How do the others compare to that?
Proud Yankee
Alan B
Pain Boater

Post by Alan B »

I second the Millbrook Big Boy.... or a Millbrook Defiant. I have owned one since 1999. I am 6'3" and have weighed 210. Also have a friend who is closer to 125-130 who has owned 3 Defiants. Great boat. Mine happens to be for sale (only because I want a different Millbrook) but is not convienent to test paddle, unless you want to pop out to Montana. You didn't say how old you are but at 51 (or for the last 9 years) it has been great to paddle AND carry a composite boat... when you are paddling a truely light weight boat, it feels like you are just paddling YOU around the river, not 55 pounds of plastic ankle weights. Unless you treat your gear like crap, a composite boat is amazingly durable. Good luck with the decision.[/i]
Gail R
Pain Boater

Post by Gail R »

Hey you on facebook?
240ish paddler in an ocooe
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=1 ... =592532469

same boat 175-180 paddler:
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=1 ... =592532469

both paddlers have a nuber of years under their hulls
both paddlers love the ocoee hull
steeper learning curve but you won't grow out of it
[/img]
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

The, uh, "full grown" paddler is Scott Card! I tried his boat out at the last Armada - the Ocoee is a great boat.
Gail R
Pain Boater

Post by Gail R »

yup, it's Scott and there's an unspoken rule.....
you don't give a woman's weight out if it's over 100lbs...... 200 and 5'10 for the boys......
at 240 you would not draw more than that........ and that's all I'm going to say :lol:
the other paddler is my hubby Stew...... he forgot how good an ocooe felt....
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

yeah, "240ish" is being generous! :lol:
Gail R
Pain Boater

Post by Gail R »

hey,not by that much now.
:lol:
lucky he's a good guy or I'd be in trouble
keez
C Guru

240 ish

Post by keez »

Who - Scott or Steward?
No one has suggested the Taureau - is the 240 too much. The Fly sure has less volume and a lot wetter.
Mr.DeadLegs
CBoats Addict

Post by Mr.DeadLegs »

All right. I"m a pretty good sized guy 6'7" 250ish. I have been in an Ocoee it felt good but it was outfitted for someone a little smaller than myself. For the last couple of years I have been in an Encore. This is not a new boat but it is still a great boat. Before that I had an ME, and a Outrage X. The ME is a great boat as well. I won't say much about the Outrage X. If you liked the feel of the ME give an Encore a ride. It handles the plus sized paddler very well.

Trey
"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to slide in sideways totally worn out, shouting "Holy large steaming pile of dog doo what a Ride" " Nolan Whitesell
TonyB
CBoats Addict

Post by TonyB »

So I took the ME down the tohickon this past weekend release and realized I really need a smaller boat. Reaction time in a 15 foot boat is less than optimal, especially when dodging 200+ buttboaters and more manuverable craft making last minute course corrections. The To is an argueable class 2-3 creek with small drops.
Half way down a friend pulled up in a dagger Phantom and let me jump in it.
well as it was twitchy, I didnt swim imediately and survived the 2nd half of the run. Its probibly to small off a boat for me but it was fun to survive a rapid in an iddy biddy boat. Also it put the Ocoe on my list.
Day two I got my hands on a Rival and had a ball doing two runs in what felt like a hot rod compared to my buick of a canoe.
It felt like a boat Id feel comfy tackling new rivers yet can play.
I've been checking reviews and right ups and found its designed for smaller paddlers and not alot of eager words.
Could this be a something I could find used at a resonable price before going and paying a fortune on a new boat.
Proud Yankee