Roll Videos

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

fleckbass
CBoats Addict

Roll Videos

Post by fleckbass »

I'm looking for roll instruction (OC-1) Doesn't Ditty have a video? I heard it was good. Where can I get it?
I went raftin' once. I think it was in Ohio.

http://www.easternpaddling.com
ZethZ
c

Roll tapes?

Post by ZethZ »

I have Bob Foot,s tape(excellent) on rolling a OC1 and Kent Fords small section on rolling in I believe the "Drill Time"tape....Iam trying to get some of my older video tapes converted to file then burn to CD.
oc1paddlr
CBoats Addict

rolling vid

Post by oc1paddlr »

i have watched the bob foote vid and noticed how far he extends his upper body to set up. we just don't have that fluid luxury down here in the south east, so a tuck'd set up is what i would work on, no matter where you are
paddlr
red boat ready
yarnellboat
C Maven

Post by yarnellboat »

I found it helped just to read threads on here (and "The Thrill of the Paddle") and to watch the many various rolling videos on YouTube.

Pat.
fleckbass
CBoats Addict

Thrill of the Paddle

Post by fleckbass »

I think that's what someone was telling me "Thrill of the Paddle" where do I get that?

Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

I just got a new submersible video camera yesterday in the mail... as soon as I can get in a pool with some nice clear agua... I'll put something together... o.k.? :wink:
Marc Evans
C Guru

Post by Marc Evans »

Thrill of the Paddle by Mason and Scriver is about $12 at Amazon and worth a read. The URL is http://www.amazon.com/Thrill-Paddle-Art ... 291&sr=1-1

You might look at Bob Foote information on the roll. The URL is http://www.bobfoote.com/bob/tips/rollupandstayup.htm

Lastly, there are a number of YouTube videos showing the roll. However, many of the rolls in the videos, while getting the canoe upright, have technique flaws. If Craig puts up a video, you will see a good roll. See http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEJ8990kFxE and other posts on YouTube.

Marc
klund
c

shoulder protection

Post by klund »

One thing I've noticed on a lot of the online videos, youtube and such, is that a lot of people are fully extending their shaft arm out to get the most leverage. I used to do this too - and I jacked my shoulder up good doing this. Now I really concentrate on:

- keeping my shaft hand on my forehead and tgrip hand down in my gut
- strong hipsnap so that I have momentum to help me up
- keep the head down throughout the roll
In that order.

In a bigger boat I don't think the hipsnap is as important, the boat tends to roll "under" - I think the hipsnap makes a difference for fully-foamed and bagged-out boats that roll up dry i.e. tareau, prelude, etc.. where you need to get up on top of the boat.

The other thing that can't be stressed more is tight outfitting. I had alot of problems learning to roll my prelude since the bulkhead was really loose. So I added thigh straps thinking it would solve the problem. My flatwater roll went from about 10% to 50% with the straps. I couldn't figure out what the problem was until one day I shoved some foam into the thighhook to really lock down my knees tight. My flatwater roll instantly improved. I popped off 30 or so in a row and went home to carve some foam to add to the thighhooks. So even with the straps holding my arse down tight, my knees had too much slop to roll effectively. (I still have a poor combat roll, but that's a whole 'nother issue to work on)

Anyway, good luck learning to roll - make sure your outfitting is tight and protect your shoulder by not hyperextending your shaft hand.
fleckbass
CBoats Addict

Roll

Post by fleckbass »

Great stuff guys! I'd really like to see that Craig. I will be working with a Viper 12 with the Mohawk double strap. I think I can get the outfitting pretty tight. The one problem I seem to be having right now is the foot pegs seem to be either too far back or too far forward, like they need to be in a slot in between the two available. I'll have to work on that.

mr ray
C Guru

Re: shoulder protection

Post by mr ray »

klund wrote:One thing I've noticed on a lot of the online videos, youtube and such, is that a lot of people are fully extending their shaft arm out to get the most leverage. I used to do this too - and I jacked my shoulder up good doing this. Now I really concentrate on:

- keeping my shaft hand on my forehead and tgrip hand down in my gut
- strong hipsnap so that I have momentum to help me up
- keep the head down throughout the roll
In that order.
I'm in the same...uh...boat :roll: , klund. Currently resting a pissed off shoulder from doing just what you described and muscling my way up. Once I'm healed I'm going to tape that great advice to my paddle shaft.

I'm nearly 100% rolling my Viper11 when its dry--its almost effortless. But then if I try to roll again with water in the boat I just can't seem to get past ~75% up. I get so close but at the last second I plop back down. I spent hours putting four 4" pass-thru tubes in the saddle and it didn't make much difference. I am suspicious I'm getting away with bad technique the first time.

Also, Craig, that would be great if you could swing a video showcasing your roll.

--ray
yarnellboat
C Maven

Post by yarnellboat »

Here's an idea, have we done this before?

We could post some choice YouTube videos for discussion. Easier than filming ourselves, and probably just as constructive.

Anyone who interested can search for one to post. Hopefully something more that 6 seconds, and, for the purposes of this thread anyway, of well-outfitted ww solo open canoes.

I'll put one up as a starter/template, and we can see if it's a useful exercise...

Pat.
gumpy
C Maven

Post by gumpy »

hey craig, will your roll demo be in the l'edge?
Joe
yarnellboat
C Maven

Post by yarnellboat »

Hmmm,

The way I was thinking this video idea might work is that if people post each video example of rolling in separate threads.

That way, there could be discussion about what we see in that particular roll only (to avoid any confusion about which video people are talking about, and to make the most of useful videos & discussions).

Each thread would be a viewing and an analysis of one roll only.

For example, one thread (e.g. #3) would only be discussion related to Peggy's roll. And there'd be a new thread started to point out stuff that we observe in Scott and/or Josh's roll.

I thought that might be the best way to make use of public footage on rolls, but, oh well, maybe it won't work that way.

Pat.