It's an OC1... It's a C1... It's an Esquif Taureau HYBRID ?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Wendy
Paddling Benefactor

Thanks Craig as OC1 should enhance dryness

Post by Wendy »

The boat was really dry for me in big water, but this will enhance it!
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Re: Thanks Craig as OC1 should enhance dryness

Post by Craig Smerda »

Wendy wrote:The boat was really dry for me in big water, but this will enhance it!
Big Water... big drops... big everything! :D One of the main reasons I did it is because on a few big-drop runs we have around here one of the problems with a totally open OC is that the lead in stuff to the big drops would put so much water in your boat you can't/couldn't control the boat on approach to the main drop. For the most part I've never had a problem dealing with some water in my boat... but one "near-miss" on a 13ft'er last year changed my mind when I nearly ran the drop sideways-face/shoulder-first-out-of control and ended up getting my blade to catch at the very last moment and just in the nick of time to spin me around (90-degrees) so I could run it backwards rather than take a severe beating (read; broken parts on me! :o ) and fortunately came out unscathed. If I hadn't taken on so much water on the lead in I would have caught the micro-eddy just above it or at the least been closer to my original line... not the gnarly-pointed rock ledge I almost landed on.

Well... that and because I can never leave anything alone/stock. :D
RodeoClown
BlackFly Canoes

Post by RodeoClown »

Craig Smerda wrote:
Cuz some :P rodeo-clown :P would cut it up and make it shorter :roll: ... the big problem is you'd need a 7" waist to fit in the darned thing! :D
Naw, the Tareau is short enough already (for a creekboat at least)
Just wait until you see what I've been up to lately.... I think you'll like it. :D
Mikey B
CBoats Addict

Hybrid Taureau

Post by Mikey B »

Awesome job Craig!!!
Those hatches look really sweet.
I noticed yours has two holes for inserting the flotation bags in the stern. Did you cut the extra hole in the foam wall in the stern or are they coming that way now?

Mike
Last edited by Mikey B on Tue Dec 05, 2006 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
squeakyknee
CBoats Addict

Post by squeakyknee »

I Wannit I Wannit!!!!
That Freakin Great!!!
I love it! Now I just need to save for one :wink:
Amiga!!
Larry Horne
C Maven

Post by Larry Horne »

nice work man. i like it!
Larry
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Re: Hybrid Taureau

Post by Craig Smerda »

Mikey B wrote:Awesome job Craig!!!
Those hatches look really sweet.
I noticed yours has two holes for inserting the flotation bags in the stern. Did you cut the extra hole in the foam wall in the stern or are they coming that way now?

Mike
The holes came that way.... I haven't even touched the outfitting yet though... still need to carve out the leg holes, etc.

Hope to see you again this summer... how's that combat roll coming along for you?
Mikey B
CBoats Addict

Taureau

Post by Mikey B »

Craig, I'm really hoping to make it out your way a few times this year. I really, really want to make it to Wausau and definitely spend another day at Pemene.
I'm also trying to work on the wife for the "It Ain't Louie Fest."

I cut some foam from the outer edges and added a bit to the inside edges of the cut-outs and it seems to make a tremendous difference for rolling. It finally feels as easy as rolling my Delirious. I've been bomber on everything here, and hopefully that transfers to out there in the bigger stuff :D
I wish I was closer. I've been trying to figure out flatwater cartwheels in the Deli. I can do bow stalls and get vertical on the stern , but trying to figure out how initiate for cartwheels is tough.
Any ideas from anyone would be greatly appreciated.

Oh, do you think the hatches are going to get in the way any when open for getting stuff in and out vs. the removeable type hatch covers?

Mike
TommyC1
C Guru

Post by TommyC1 »

:o
NICE!!!
I want one.
:D
Tommy
JoeS
c

Sweet....

Post by JoeS »

I wish my Y had that much legroom. :) Three UP!

Joe S
ezwater
C Maven

Post by ezwater »

decker, dicker, ducker...... It's all the same. You call that a c-1?
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

ezwater wrote:decker, dicker, ducker...... It's all the same. You call that a c-1?
(sigh)...no... it's a canoe...that you can put a skirt on. Read the post above yours. :D
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Re: Sweet....

Post by Craig Smerda »

JoeS wrote:I wish my Y had that much legroom. :) Three UP!

Joe S
It's pretty roomy in there bud... I can wear Snowshoes! :lol:
Last edited by Craig Smerda on Thu Dec 07, 2006 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Al Greve
C Guru

Post by Al Greve »

As far as the hatches go, we've done three boats with them already,they work great!! The difference with our hatches is they screw in, where as Craigs have a hinge & latch., but either works perfect and they're the same size.
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

I've some experience with various hatches - heck, I've got two kinds on one boat. I think the screw in kind might be more secure/watertight, but you have to watch sand and grit getting in the threads or they get nearly impossible to open and close. The sort with the latch have leaked on me - the rubber seal doesn't quite do it (age? overcompression?). The best are on a sea kayak (I know, I know) by Valley that have a tight rubber cover that's better than tupperware (tm). Those coupled with welded bulkheads are dry as a bone - I don't even use a dry bag for my sleeping bag. Not sure if those are available separate from a boat, though...